Which species of chicken eggs do you prefer eating?

Truefire

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 27, 2013
North Carolina
Do any of you have a specific species of chicken that you would rather eat eggs from than others? I have ate a bunch of free range chicken eggs in my past and although all were delicious, there was one gentleman that I used to purchase eggs from that had the best eggs in the county, in my opinion. I am highly selective with whom I buy eggs from, I simply will not eat eggs from just "any and every ol' chicken owner."

I have been around some individual's residence that keep chickens, bunches of them on the same stretch of dirt, year after year and their place smells like a bona-fide CAFO. Heck, worst than that really. Not only would I not eat anything from these persons but I wouldn't even hold their chickens. The smell permeated their very feathers. Our nose speaks for a reason, when biological systems smell, something is amiss....infections smell.. That's a different topic altogether.

Anyway, - back on track-, so I had been obtaining my eggs from this elderly gentleman that had a few different breeds. His place never smelled, he put a lot of time in keeping things tidy, orderly and clean. Unfortunately this gentleman has deceased and I no longer get any eggs from his family. That having been said, I am not sure which breed of chickens that he owned, which I was obtaining eggs from. They were always so delicious, it was as if the egg yolk's had been impregnated with sugar. Just sweet, succulent eggs...all the time. Not sure what those chickens were eating as they free ranged.

So, it got me thinking...do any of you flocksters have a particular breed of chicken that you prefer eating eggs from over other breeds?

Chris

Chris, I like you am picky about my eggs. I like to eat my own chickens eggs only. For many of the same reasons you just mentioned.

Leghorns. They are big. Bright orange yolks. And when you raise em on grass or pasture they never get a funky taste. That is of course if they stay out of the mint, or onions, garlic. Their diet does dictate taste. Grass and greens should make up about a third of their diet. In the spring they may eat more than that because of the higher protein in the shoots.

PHIL

Thanks Phil, can't say that I have ever eaten any eggs from Leghorns raised on pasture. I know the ones from all the supermarkets are leghorn crosses. But we all know that they aren't even eggs, just like their honey isn't honey. lol... Not that I wouldn't eat Leghorn eggs from pastured birds, just never been given the opportunity. I would love to try them...So you say, they are number one in your book, huh? I'll keep my eye open for someone that does own them and fits within the before-mentioned parameters.

If the rest of the world only knew, if they only knew, the differences in grass based forage and the natural biomimicry model of raising livestock and chickens. Our entire 'eastern paradigm' would die, supermarkets would drastically change, corn crop would be replaced with grass pasture, soils would be healed and repaired, organic matter and earthworms would return, obesity and type ll diabetes would dwindle and people's tastebuds would be enlivened by flavors they never knew existed.

We both know Phil, there is only a handful of folks like us, once you cross over this 'line', there is no going back. I just wish I had the acreage to raise my own broilers, just can't right this moment. Hopefully, some future plans will fall into place one of these days, soon.

Take care,

Chris

Back
Top Bottom