Which to raise: quails or rabbits?

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

lol.png
coturnix, bobwhites and buttons... mostly buttons, but not for long! LOL!

OK, Kwynn, if you had to give up your quail or your rabbits, which would you keep?
wink.png

That's a toughy...I wouldn't want to do either! Let me ask Damien that one.
hu.gif

which would you do?

Do buttons go quick? Or do they go to the freezer?​

LOL! Too small to eat...unless you just want a snack. Kind of like squirrel... not much meat on 'em.
lol.png

I don't know which I would keep... I haven't tried the rabbit yet, or the quail, but I like being able to sell the eggs. Dunno...
idunno.gif

Depending on how many rabbits she's allowed to have or how many quail she's allowed ot have will determine which would eat the most...I had a 30 hole rabbitiry, went through over 50lbs of feed every 2 weeks.

I plan to have no more than prob 30 quail, in no way would they go through as much feed as 30 rabbits would
wink.png
LOL

Not to mention, rabbits were just big trouble for me, not much medical science is done on them about all their health concerns...snuffles being a biggie...that there is no cure for, only treatment...i lost most of my rabbitry to snuffles. Gave the healthy rest of my stock that was resistant to it to my friends (who show and breed). And ihave quail now...so you can see what i chose...
smile.png

Last edited:
rabbit is really tastey if you're talking about the flavor...kind of chickeny but not...but very very good
smile.png
I love it. Never had quail...yet... and i have buttons too...I wouldnt eat an adult mouse...or a parakeet, so nope, no disire to eat a button quail...unless im starving and theres some kinda food famin...lol

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

LOL! Too small to eat...unless you just want a snack. Kind of like squirrel... not much meat on 'em.
lol.png

I don't know which I would keep... I haven't tried the rabbit yet, or the quail, but I like being able to sell the eggs. Dunno...
idunno.gif

I was pretty sure there wasn't much to a button. I was thinkig about your question all day yesterday. If it alll came down to it, Like a great depression type thing, I would have to get rid of the quail. they're harder to breed, without the aid of an incubator. Rabbits "do it" freely.

Then I was thinking of broody hens hatching quail.

Then I thought that rabbits provide more food per animal than quail.

Then I thought about how much it is to feed either.

I worked on that almost all day, then I forgot to ask my husband because we were so busy looking for our moose. I really wouldn't want to get rid of any of my animals!
hit.gif

I ve eaten rabbit before, and yeah, it is kind off like chicken. If I wasn't told it was rabbit, I might have thought it was chicken. I have never eaten quail YET!!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom