1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which type of Chickens should I choose?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by lyndatu, Nov 20, 2007.

1. lyndatu

lyndatu Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Hello!

My coop is almost finished! Now I'm planning on what Chickens I should have. Unfortunately, I'm limited to only 5 chickens because we had a lot of chickens before but our neighbors complained about the noise and smell. Some even broke into their houses! I'm planning:

2 egg layers
    3 chickens for meat

This really isn't my plan. I was really planning 3 egg layers, 1 silkie hen and 1 rooster, but my family mainly wanted chickens for their meat. I wanted chickens for eggs and as pets. But, I'm following my family's plan and I have no choice. What breeds would you recommend for the types of chickens above? I really want chickens that are white or brown, fat and feathery because they look really good and I like to watch them live out. Thanks in advance!

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

This
    is a good starting place.

My Miss MoneyPenny is a Silkie/Cochin mix. She's fluffy and orangey/brown and teeny. LOL Nice personality and she lays small tan eggs. She also can go broody at the drop of a hat.

Most of the meat birds are Cornish/Rock crosses. Cornish come in a bantam size but I don't know how much meat you get off one...

3. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    Remeber that silkies are batams and 3 batam eggs equal 1 standard egg.

4. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    Eggs:
    Rhode Island Reds = Brown Eggs
    Pearl White Leghorns = White Eggs
    Speckeled Sussex = Light brown eggs, better for colder climates than RIR or PWL but doesn't lay as many eggs as RIR or PWL.

Meat:
    Dark Cornish Roo - Doesn't grow quite as fast as the cornish x rock, poo machine.
    Cornish X Rock - Grows lightning fast; poo machine.

5. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Pick whatever you like - you've got good suggestions already...

I'd just add that to keep the neigbors happy, be sure to keep your chickens up.

I love my chickens a bunch, but would hate to have someone ELSE's roaming around the yard - same as for dogs. Its OK if MY dog poos in my yard, but not so cool for the neighbor's dog...

Anyway, sounds like you are building a proper coop this time and keeping them up will help your neighborly relations.

Also, avoiding roosters can help a lot there too..or at least eating them before they start crowing too much.

6. karri25

karri25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    If you are looking for good egg layers, why not ed sex links??? The days are WAY short here now and I am still getting almost 100% laying without any extra lighting!
    Good luck on your choice. Sounds like you have pretty mean neighbors:-(

Oh, they lay brown eggs!

7. lyndatu

lyndatu Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Good suggestions! Thanks!

I never saw a brown egg, but it looks tasty! I'll get a chicken that lays some!

And, I don't really want to eat my pet chickens. Just imagine, you had a good relationship with your chicken, then she's going to your stomach?! I prefer chicken from the market!

Anyways, thanks for your help!

I like silkies! (but only a little because they look like mutants from The Hills Have Eyes)

Oh, and one more question: are mating services available in stores? I want to keep a rooster to fertilize my hens, but they're too darn noisy! I want to strangle him; Just kidding. Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]:|[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]:eek:

8. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

LOL!!!
    Silkies aren't really chickens: They're really mutated bunnies from Chernobyl and 3 Mile Island...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by