Which type of combs are these?

IvyBeans

Songster
May 22, 2023
Seattle suburbs
I’m wondering if these are pea combs? My two baby Easter eggers that I’m hoping are pullets.

I read that if they inherited pea combs, they have a better chance of laying blue or green. I hope it’s true!

Can you also tell if they have muffs or beards? It’s my first time and I just see fluffy babies.

I’m also hoping that since they’re both a bit basic looking, they’re both pullets. Although the chick on the left is the biggest of the 5 and has thick legs. Neither has tail feathers at a week old.

Attachments

• IMG_3082.jpeg
    IMG_3082.jpeg
    360.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3084.jpeg
    IMG_3084.jpeg
    374.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3085.jpeg
    IMG_3085.jpeg
    428.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
So muffs on the one on the left, a little hard to tell on the one to the right.

Too, they're likely Easter Eggers- the loveable mutts that mostly lay blue/green eggs. Too early to tell their sex, but the chipmunk pattern and muffs show Easter Egger influence.

12 days old! Neither Easter Egger has tail feathers yet, but all the Orpingtons do! I’m hoping that since they’re sexed pullets odds are at least one is a girl, so it’s good they’re developing at the same rate. Although, the one at the top of the group pic has some thick legs and is the biggest chick by quite a margin. The Orpington on the far left is supposed to be a red Orpington. All from Mt. Healthy. The chicks are thriving, but quite skittish. Attaching a second picture to show comb development. Same chick on top for both pictures. I know it’s too early to guess sex, I’m just tracking development and wondering about comb type.
IMG_3179.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3182.jpeg
    IMG_3182.jpeg
    488.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I can’t tell if my big chick has thick legs, or if it’s just because she’s thicker and bigger in general. She’s the only one who roosts on top of this all the time. If another chick tries, she tolerates it for a bit then kicks them off. She’s my most flighty, also fighting it out with the buff Orpington for top hen (hopefully).

Attachments

• IMG_3190.jpeg
    IMG_3190.jpeg
    352.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3194.jpeg
    IMG_3194.jpeg
    433.2 KB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom