Which Wine is Best for Health?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mattemma, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Does anyone have a red wine they like that is considered healthy? Is white wine just as good for you?

Doctor actually recommended I drink a glass of wine to bring up my HDL numbers. I have not drank wine in years. I wonder what brand to get. I also wonder if elderberry wine is healthy too. Going to do a web search, but thought I would ask here too. I like a sweeter type wine,but will drink anything if it is good for me. Back in the day in Hungary we used to mix sweet wines with club soda to make a wine cooler type drink.Regular wine coolers from the store used to give me terrible stomach pains.

So far I have just gotten a bottle of Egri bikaver aka bull's blood.A not sweet hungarian wine.My granny lived in a small village close to Eger,and my mom said the wine is good for you.

2. chicknerd

chicknerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    NH
    From the Mayo Clinic. Red wines, NOT whites, appear to help the heart, cholesterol, etc. This is what the Mayo clinic says below. My DH has been using it for years, but he also exercises well.

The studies supporting red wine suggest antioxidants in red wine called polyphenols help protect the lining of blood vessels in your heart. These antioxidants come in two main forms: flavonoids and nonflavonoids.

* Flavonoids. These antioxidants are found in a variety of foods, including oranges, grape juice, apples, onions, tea and cocoa. Other types of alcohol, such as white wine and beer, contain small amounts, too, but red wine has higher levels.
    * Nonflavonoids. These antioxidants found in red wine have recently been of particular interest because they appear to help prevent arteries from becoming clogged with fatty blockages. However, these studies mostly involved mice — not humans. Resveratrol is the nonflavonoid that's received the most attention from researchers.

Resveratrol in red wine

Resveratrol might be a key ingredient in red wine that helps prevent damage to blood vessels, reduces "bad" cholesterol and prevents blood clots.

Here is the actual link:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/red-wine/hb00089

3. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
  4. annmarie

annmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    I would imagine the darker red the wine, the better, because it's those dark red/purple pigments in the grape skins that hold the "good stuff" for your heart. White wine does not have these benefits. I've read white wine is good for your lungs, but it sounds like you're looking for something good for your cholesterol. I wouldn't bother with wine coolers, most of the color in them is artificial coloring anyway. Good luck, enjoy your wine and maybe oatmeal for breakfast! My father did this for a few months and when he went back to get his cholesterol re-checked the doc said "wow, those drugs are really working well for you!" and my father admitted he never took the drugs, just changed his diet, ate a lot of oatmeal, and drank a glass of red wine everyday!

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Yes- the dark reds [​IMG]

If you have a hard time drinking the red straight- try mixing it with a little sunny delight or "orangeade". It's like "instant sangria"- sweeter and even more vitamin C. Yum!

6. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Quote:Thanks for the suggestion. So far the only wine I have found that I like is moscato d'asti. I really want to like wine and I do need to lower my cholesteral.

7. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    My hubby is a doctor and he drinks a glass of red wine each night. He drinks it cuz he LIKES it! [​IMG] He tells his patients if they don't like wine, drink grape juice.

I think you could have alot of fun figuring out which wine you like. [​IMG] And I do like your idea about making wine spritzers. I forgot about that. About 10 yrs. ago, I was given 4 bottles of red wine & I didn't like it cuz it was too sweet. My SIL & I used it to make a large quantity of sangria for a party. We added juices & soda water. Not only was it tastey, it was very low alcohol.

Don't feel like you have to hold your nose and force yourself to "take" your wine, as though it was medicine. I believe that part of the health benefits of wine is that people take it easy and have a restful time in the evening when they enjoy their glass of wine.

(edited for spelling)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I prefer dry reds and sweet whites, so I can't suggest specific reds to you that you would like, but I will say that there is a vast assortment of flavours available. Find a store with a LARGE selection of wine and go in and talk to the workers about what you are looking for. Some stores even have wine classes or tastings (this depends on state law). Get a selection of varying degrees of sweetness and heaviness (I know there is another word, but cannot think of it at the moment). Try some that are slightly sweet and some that are very sweet, and several that are in between. Try some that are light and some that are heavier. Decide which you enjoy more and which less. Once you know a variety and style of wine that you enjoy, expand to similar ones.

Carpe Vino!

9. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

I had an uncle who was put on the one glass of RED a day regimen... he held his nose through every glass.

Don't know why I found that so hilarious, but then it was some 20 years ago... he's still as feisty as ever. [​IMG]

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:My grandfather's doctor told him to start smoking (he chose a a pipe) to lose weight. [​IMG] This was a LONG time ago.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by