Which would you keep?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hebertchick12, Nov 1, 2014.

1. hebertchick12

hebertchick12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2014
    Raceland, LA
    We absolutely LOVE both these wyandotte cockerels. Unfortunately, we have to downsize and will be getting rid of one. We have a mixed flock of RIRs, BCMs, and EE's. We MIGHT let a hen hatch out a few eggs each spring (to keep for our own flock or sell as barnyard mix), but other than that we will not be breeding. I don't know the SOPs or anything, just curious on your thoughts about the way each bird looks and which might give more variety of chicks each spring. The gold laced wyandotte has a little nicer personality and more tolerance for my daughter. But I like the idea of possibly getting some chicks with blue feathers. Which would you keep?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If they were mine, I would allow them to mature and see if any human aggressive tendencies developed. I would then eliminate either or both if they started attacking people - especially since there is a small child involved.

3. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    The 1 on bottom looks as if it will mature faster.I'd pick him.

4. hebertchick12

hebertchick12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2014
    Raceland, LA
    The bottom one is a week older. They have been together since chicks... Never separate, sleep nestled together, etc. I am actually worried it might cause a problem once we separate them.

5. Kluk-Kluk

Kluk-Kluk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    upstate New York
    I like the looks of the Blue-Laced Wyandotte (that's what I'm guessing the top one is), but I would keep the rooster with the better temperament, as suggested above.

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Temperment trumps all other considerations! Give them a little more time to mature, and eliminate any cockrel who shows any aggression to your child. If neither works out for you, try next year. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by