While waiting for feed testing results; how much light do hens need to lay eggs

I've been wondering about the amount of light needed. Was planning to start a thread on the winter solstice asking people to post there first egg date and day length. Was I'll so missed my timing.

We got out first egg of the year 2 days ago with 8:47 of daylight. The coop is in a shady area of the garden, great for summer but was thinking of installing a mirror to reflect the sun into their run in winter.

I've been wondering about the amount of light needed. Was planning to start a thread on the winter solstice asking people to post there first egg date and day length. Was I'll so missed my timing.

We got out first egg of the year 2 days ago with 8:47 of daylight.
That might be a factor. It's weird because my flock never stopped. I feed TSC brands, and my birds' coop is dark because the run has a dark, solid roof and is near a retaining wall. And we live on the downhill slope of a heavily wooded valley. I get sunlight for about 9 hrs, which is probably a generous estimate given our location.

There are just soooo many variables. I doubt we'll ever know for sure.

I was hoping my girls would lay through the winter as all 4 are pullets. They had other plans though. Martha gave me 8 eggs at start of September then stopped. Rainbow started laying 5 days later and went through to end November before molting. June babies didn't start. Not sure who is laying now as all the eggs look the same.

I'm sure different breeds and different individuals vary. At some point in December a member here mentioned doing a solstice-set hatch so as to keep the winter-laying trait going in the flock.

I personally was getting 4-5 eggs per day from ~19 or so mature females through December with a big ramp up in mid-January, including a day with a full dozen.

They have an open coop, so as soon as the sun comes up, they have light until it goes down.

Hmm, that makes me wonder,

How many of these reports of birds not laying come from flocks are closed up in coops and/or roofed runs because of the threat of Avian Influenza and not able to access what sunlight there is in the winter?

This is interesting and relevant here too Link

The source LynnTXchickenmom shared covers how how much light is enough, that fluorescent lights are problematic, and that it is the length of the longest dark period that matters rather than the length of day.

Back
Top Bottom