While you sleep tonight...

Quote:
I'll reply in brief, there's a lot of info on tending broodies in other threads, & you're welcome to PM or email me for more info.
...should I move her somewhere else, like a special pen...

Other hens often interrupt broodies' business trying to add their eggs to the clutch. You can move her AFTER DARK to her own little pen, or barricade her place in the coop. Make sure she has food & water & room to get up & poop. It needn't be any warmer than the coop.
...should she and the chicks be separated from the other 6 hens (1 1/2 years old) or can she protect the chicks

MAYBE. It depends on the individuals. It might be best to keep them in a separate pen for a few weeks at least, until the chicks get some size & strength to them.
...does mom keep them warm? Does mom teach them to drink? ...

Mom should be able to care for them in every way, all she'll need from you is drinking water & chick starter for her kids. She will probably leave them after 4-8 weeks, then you'll need to finish raising the chicks until they're 18 weeks & fully grown.
...how do I make sure she's getting food and water?...I'm worried she's not taking care of herself.

She doesn't need much since she's not expending much energy. She will get up only once a day to eat & drink a bit, & take an enormous smelly poop every day or two. You can trust her to know when she needs tend to her needs, you needn't interfere.​

Back
Top Bottom