While you were out...

BennieAnTheJets

Crowing
7 Years
Mar 4, 2016
Virginia, USA
... your Guinea Hotel and Resort has been updated for your winter comfort. :gig

So, every year we are doing something else. Last year the meal worm bags were a nice, thick, clear plastic and I saved the empty bags and cut them open and used them as windshields. One year I got clear carpet protector mats from Lowes but they were expensive and not as cleanable and re-useable as I was hoping. This year I thought I'd call some matress stores and see if I can pick up some of those huge, clear bags that the new matresses come in - the ones they unwrap for the show room - but with COVID I rather saty home and stay away from stuff other people have messed around with a bit already. So I ordered a clear table cloth cover online and Eureka! it looks great so far. I ordered another one to close the back off for them to shield from wind and let the sun give a little greenhouse effect in the mornings! Ahhh! Nice. ☀😎🌞

Here is the new table cloth cover in action:
whileYouWereOut.jpg

So, every year we are doing something else. Last year the meal worm bags were a nice, thick, clear plastic and I saved the empty bags and cut them open and used them as windshields. One year I got clear carpet protector mats from Lowes but they were expensive and not as cleanable and re-useable as I was hoping. This year I thought I'd call some matress stores and see if I can pick up some of those huge, clear bags that the new matresses come in - the ones they unwrap for the show room - but with COVID I rather saty home and stay away from stuff other people have messed around with a bit already. So I ordered a clear table cloth cover online and Eureka! it looks great so far. I ordered another one to close the back off for them to shield from wind and let the sun give a little greenhouse effect in the mornings! Ahhh! Nice. ☀😎🌞

View attachment 2441683
I did this with heavy duty clear shower curtains. They looked great. First storm we had, they became parachutes drifting over the field.
I'm sorry, I know your proud-so was I. This is probably the only time I'll be able to say "been there, done that."
Then we got clear polycarbonate panels- wavy ones like you see on carport roofs? Awesome. We take them down in the summer, but in the winter, they keep the run comfy enough for me, and give them a "sun room". The panels are long, so we were able to cut them in half, which cut down on cost.

I did this with heavy duty clear shower curtains. They looked great. First storm we had, they became parachutes drifting over the field.
I'm sorry, I know your proud-so was I. This is probably the only time I'll be able to say "been there, done that."
Then we got clear polycarbonate panels- wavy ones like you see on carport roofs? Awesome. We take them down in the summer, but in the winter, they keep the run comfy enough for me, and give them a "sun room". The panels are long, so we were able to cut them in half, which cut down on cost.

Hey, I like shower curtains, too! Great idea.

Sorry you lost yours - hope they did not end up in the ocean, ugh!

Every situation is different. The cut-open meal worm plastic bags lasted all winter last winter. I have a staple gun and attached them to the wood. Our wind and wind angle must be better than yours. I pulled ours off in the spring and threw them out because they were so filthy, and somewhat pecked, for some reason... 😂 but they did not come off or blow away. I have high hopes for the table cloth at our place, but glad you posted for others to see and consider. We don't need more plastic blowing in the wind. :rolleyes: Good point!:clap

The take-away message is probably to try a small section and keep an eye on it and remove it before it blows away, if it does not work at your place. Otherwise there are some great options for shields. They changed the way they made the meal worm bags, so I ran out of that option. I would like to try the clear corrugated roofing material! Sounds awesome. Just will have to wait until I get a chance to buy it, and cut it, and fit it properly. But that is a great re-useable option!👍

The Guineas don't care as long as the wind does not blow their feathers from back to front (bad feather day!) and having light and warmth come in and being able to see out is also a huge plus.🐔🌬💨

Last edited:
Hey, I like shower curtains, too! Great idea.

Sorry you lost yours - hope they did not end up in the ocean, ugh!

Every situation is different. The cut-open meal worm plastic bags lasted all winter last winter. I have a staple gun and attached them to the wood. Our wind and wind angle must be better than yours. I pulled ours off in the spring and threw them out because they were so filthy, and somewhat pecked, for some reason... 😂 but they did not come off or blow away. I have high hopes for the table cloth at our place, but glad you posted for other to see and consider. We don't need more plastic blowing in the wind. :rolleyes: Good point!:clap
Just my opinion but I would not staple the plastic directly. I would put a strip of lath over the plastic where you are going to secure it and attach the lath with screws.

Just my opinion but I would not staple the plastic directly. I would put a strip of lath over the plastic where you are going to secure it and attach the lath with screws.

yeah, I used to be much better about things like that but my hubby is horribly ill and needs me every minute of the day pretty much, so I do things I can do while stealing myself away for 10 min at a time - just has to be good enough for now :hmm

View attachment 2441683
Nice!! I’m sure that your guineas love the heat. I won’t tell mine that you “greenhouse” them so they don’t get jealous... :gig

Back
Top Bottom