White Bugs On My Turkey - HELP!

mr gibb is so cute
tongue.png

Looks to me like he is a Broad Breasted White. They are more typically found than hollands.

Any type of animal lice cannot be transmitted to humans. Bird lice can only feed on feathers, dog and cat lice on fur. I would suggest dusting him with a little bit of sevin dust. I just dip a gloved hand in the bag, and rub a little on the back and under the wings of my birds.

He looks real happy! They make good pets!

This turkey is such a ham...
yippiechickie.gif
he follows me every where when I am out with the animals. It is too funny to watch.. Then when I sit down and tap my foot he comes over and pushes my leg out of the way so he can be in from of me and lowers his head to be petted. It is too cute!! I want to find him a women. That is my next venture.
clap.gif

The people I got him from say that he is molting...but he is really "plucked over" underneath and to the sides of him. Does anyone know how long it takes for the feathers to grow back? Anyway to help him so he doesn't have bald spots?
hu.gif

I had a turkey before.. but she never had bald spots.. and I raised her from egg.

Thank you all again for all your advise! It is greatly appreciated!!
big_smile.png

If he is a Broad Breasted White, they don't have the nice full feather like other breeds do. Make them easier and faster to pluck! :eek: I have 3 right now and parts of them, under their wings especially, I can see their body!

If you spend much time handling your birds, you will occassionally find a bird louse on your person. As noted by others though, they don't feed on people and are easily flicked off. You're always going to have some of them on your birds too - just make sure they don't get out of control. If your tom takes dust baths, this helps a lot.

-Frank

I envy you guys. I wish I had the room for turkeys let alone so many other animals I love hmmm
sad.png

Bubba

UPDATE!!! I have a vet appointment tomorrow for him. Since it is appearing he has a gape worm along with the lice. I want to make sure it is what i think it is before I treat it.. and harm him.

Since both is very spreadable through birds - I am making my vet aware of it and hopefully getting everyone on the up and up by this weekend (hopefully).

The people I got him from are getting phone call tonight. I cant believe all this! I am not a happy camper! Not to mention if i would have known of all these problems I would have taken care of it before i put him with my other birds! Grrrrr! Why are people so ignorant!!!

I will let you all know what happens on Friday - since the appointment is at 6:45 tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Thank you for all your help!! It is greatly appricated!!

Bird lice or mites do not use humans for permanent hosts but they can certainly bite humans and become infestations, if they do have anything else to feed upon.

There was an article in Bird Watcher's Digest in a recent issue that documented an infestation that came into a home via a nest over an outside window. When the birds left, the insects came into the home. As they can multiply very fast, the lice literally took over a bedroom before the people took action with pesticides.

I do not use pesticides and have had very good success with diotomaceous earth against mites, fleas and lice. I buy it from a natural pet supply company on-line.

Back
Top Bottom