White Bugs On My Turkey - HELP!

Iamaqte

Songster
12 Years
Jul 11, 2007
Riegelsville, Pa
I just recently adopted a turkey (he needed a home that wouldnt eat him). Anyways. I was out side really looking at him yesterday and there are little white bugs all over his head around his beak. They are very very tiny. The turkey doesnt seem to mind.. but it bothers me to see them all over his head. Does anyone know what they are and how to get rid of them?

Also since I just adopted him - I have never seen a turkey like this. He is huge, all white, with a black patch of "hair" on his chest. Does anyone know what he is and where I can find more information about this brees online? I have tried entering things in search engines, but have come up empty.

Any help would be greatly appricated!!
Thanks!
Patti

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Turkeys/BRKTurkey.html

Try
feathersite. Your turkey is probably a Holland or Broad breasted white.

Your turkey probably has lice or mites. Lots of folks use Sevin 5% garden dust or a insecticide dust specifically for poultry such as Ectoban. Many people use DE (diotomaceous earth) in the bedding, for dusting, and in feed to control pests (use only food grade DE) but not everyone has found it effective with severe infestations. There is another garden dust that says it is for use on poultry, but I dont remember the name of it.

Read the labels and wear a dust mask for any of these treatments.

chel

Lice is lice. Yes it can & will transfer to humans if you handle the bird at all.

OMG Thank you.. I have been itching ever since i read the first response.... Thank you!!!

I am going to tractor supply this weekend and seeing what they recommend for it and printing this forum to take with me to see if they have what you all recommended. Thank you to all for the great responses! I really really appreciate it!

Patti

Thank you all again! I definitly think he is a white Holland.. check him out!! Pictures of my turkey!!

Untitled-5.jpg

Mr. Gibbs
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom