White but not white polish pullet (Genetics Question)

shadowfiredingo

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2020
Me again with more questions. Love my genetics but can't work out for the life of me this girl.

Princess, hatched out of with yellow down and when her feathers came in she was what I thought white/splash (there was some dark flecks). As she grew I started to notice it wasn't white and then thought she was a very dirty chook and her feathers would eventually become white again but no. She continued to be off-white She's like a wedding dress champagne. I can even see she has a small group of actual white feathers in her crest. She was this colour before ever venturing out into sun and I feed her the same as i feed all my chickens... And they're still white.

I just wanted to know if she's still just a white, and white is variable or if she is actually not white at all but the genes are making her look whitish.

The photos probably won't show what I can see. She is standing next to a silver pencilled pullet and you can see in the sunlight the difference between her white and the white of the Hamburg. In the shaded photo her shoulder is like the white you can see (a silver Hamburg is also in the background).

Any suggestions or similar experiences are greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20210616_091628.jpg
    IMG_20210616_091628.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20210616_090933.jpg
    IMG_20210616_090933.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20210616_091032.jpg
    IMG_20210616_091032.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
Oh I had no idea it could be off white too! I have a splash leghorn and a another splash polish, both of whom out spots Princess (looks like the splash you'd imagine) and both very white, which is why I doubted my first assumption of her being splash.

Thanks for your reply!

Oh I had no idea it could be off white too! I have a splash leghorn and a another splash polish, both of whom out spots Princess (looks like the splash you'd imagine) and both very white, which is why I doubted my first assumption of her being splash.

Thanks for your reply!
Do you have pictures of your other splash polish and your splash leghorn?

Funny enough the splash leghorn is in the third photo (I thought she was a silver pencilled Hamburg). I have attached the splash leghorn here now too (please ignore her dodgy comb). I actually have two random babies that someone gave me too. I thought both were white but I am seeing one bright white splash and one "dirty white" splash. I'll get better photos of Princess and the other two suspect babies when I get home tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_20210618_141838.jpg
    IMG_20210618_141838.jpg
    751.1 KB · Views: 6
Funny enough the splash leghorn is in the third photo (I thought she was a silver pencilled Hamburg). I have attached the splash leghorn here now too (please ignore her dodgy comb). I actually have two random babies that someone gave me too. I thought both were white but I am seeing one bright white splash and one "dirty white" splash. I'll get better photos of Princess and the other two suspect babies when I get home tonight.
Nice leghorn. That’s a pretty uncommon color in that breed.

Thanks, to be honest I'm not confident on quality but she's sweet and the only splash I had, the rest were blue. I've attached better photos of Princess, she could still be blue but she's almost spotless and very warm tones rather than cool. I tried to clean her up, it been raining a lot and she runs through the mud and water a lot but the colour is still her off champagne tone, despite mud.

Attachments

• IMG_20210619_120831.jpg
    IMG_20210619_120831.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210619_120745.jpg
    IMG_20210619_120745.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210619_120624.jpg
    IMG_20210619_120624.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210619_120602.jpg
    IMG_20210619_120602.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210619_120417.jpg
    IMG_20210619_120417.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 6
Thanks, to be honest I'm not confident on quality but she's sweet and the only splash I had, the rest were blue. I've attached better photos of Princess, she could still be blue but she's almost spotless and very warm tones rather than cool. I tried to clean her up, it been raining a lot and she runs through the mud and water a lot but the colour is still her off champagne tone, despite mud.
I’m still thinking splash, but she could also be heterozygous dominant white. That would mean she’s probably a color cross of white and black (or possibly buff laced and black). Though this is unlikely if you got her from a hatchery/feedstore.

Is it possible for paints to have such dark legs? I know dominant white Silkies can be fibro, so it must be possible, right @nicalandia?
I was originally thinking paint, a whitexwcb because of the white crest, but because of the legs I’m not sure.

Hmm, actually I think you're both onto something and I don't know why I didn't remember this before!

When I collected the eggs, I saw the rooster was a white (he was keeping his distance so I couldn't see exactly his colour) and his hens were buff, buff laced, chamois and white BUTsome of the polish chicks running around the place were white crested blacks (I think I saw mottled too) I even took photos of the roo with a hen and a WCB chick (plus a silkie).

I'll attach them photos soon just have to use my phone. I can't explain her dark legs, I think the photo quality of that super black leg one is off, the sunny photos they're less black.

Back
Top Bottom