White chick from 2 barred rock parents

Hello,

I just got my first hatch from a batch of hatchery barred rocks. I know that the coloration is not perfect on some of my hens and on my roosters. Today when my eggs hatched there is a completely white chick which was very unexpected. Can anyone tell me what could have caused this so that I can mitigate this in the future. Or possibly breed for it?

I have included some examples from my flock. Both roosters that could have fathered the white chick look like the one pictured. They are too white to be true barred rocks but do have some barring as well as some green feathers in tail and some cinnamoj
Your rooster is a mix, & looks similar to my Buff Orpington/Barred rock rooster I hatched in the past to jump start my project. Not saying that's what your rooster is. Mine was produced through a Sex-linked crossing of Buff Orpington rooster X Barred Rock hen.
received95504911940040811-1.jpg
Do you have pictures of your white chick? Do you have any White Plymouth Rocks, or Columbian Rocks?

Wow!

I haven't ever done any pure breeding, so I wouldn't know much, we have just ended up with Barnyard mixes over the years, but I want to do selective breeding once our flock number goes down from 50+.
I went from 70 chickens down to 62 recently. Butchered 7 birds, & lost a hen due to heat stroke.

Your rooster is a mix, & looks similar to my Buff Orpington/Barred rock rooster I hatched in the past to help with my project. Not saying that's what your rooster is. Mine was produced through a Sex-linked crossing of Buff Orpington rooster X Barred Rock hen.
View attachment 2732338Do you have pictures of your white chick? Do you have any White Plymouth Rocks, or Columbian Rocks?
The chick just hatched and is still damp, I’ll take a photo tomorrow. I only have barred rocks. I knew some had to be mixed as the roosters are not right. I have a couple hens that are kind of grey, the barring isn’t crisp at all. Most of the hens have good crisp barring but some also have a green sheen to their black (not sure that matters at all). We butchered our extra roosters but 3 of them were dark barred like the hens.
December 2020 we ordered 20 chicks. 10 were sexed as female, 10 were unsexed and we got a total of 6 roosters. 3 were too dark with green feathers and 3 were some version of the ones photographed. Too light with strange barring and green tail feathers. Do the mixes just present more in the roosters?

The chick just hatched and is still damp, I’ll take a photo tomorrow. I only have barred rocks. I knew some had to be mixed as the roosters are not right. I have a couple hens that are kind of grey, the barring isn’t crisp at all. Most of the hens have good crisp barring but some also have a green sheen to their black (not sure that matters at all). We butchered our extra roosters but 3 of them were dark barred like the hens.
December 2020 we ordered 20 chicks. 10 were sexed as female, 10 were unsexed and we got a total of 6 roosters. 3 were too dark with green feathers and 3 were some version of the ones photographed. Too light with strange barring and green tail feathers. Do the mixes just present more in the roosters?
I believe they had Black Sex Link Roosters mixed in with Barred Rock pullets.

I can wait, on the chick, I'm patient.

Not sure what you mean, by mixes being more present in roosters?

Back
Top Bottom