White Chickens, what breed are we???

MistyMountainGirl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 30, 2009
the Misty Mountain
I bought 10 hens and 1 rooster from Tractor Supply Co. in April. They were supposed to be Rhode Island Reds but, obviously, they're not. They also had Plymouth Rock chicks for sale so I'm wondering if mine are Rhode Island Whites, or White Rocks, or something completely different. I got my first egg yesterday at 23 weeks which was brown.
wink.png
I'm very curious, any help would be greatly appreciated.

42155_012.jpg

Rooster

42155_017.jpg

Hens

Depending on the hatchery-do they carry Rhode Island Whites? The pullets also look like Rhode Island Whites-we have a rather large flock of them ourselves.It can be very hard to tell the Rock from a RIW and you don't have a real good side shot of them.Bodies legs combs and overall appearance are very close in both breeds.
Now,in my flock the RIW's are much more loving than the Rocks that may not be true in other flocks though.
Both breeds are fantastic egg layers so you did good
big_smile.png

They look to be WR to me Ithink RIWhites should be rose combed that's what all the info I've gathered says. Yes sometimes the stores kinda get a little mixed up. I've seen them advertise Buff's and they were perfectly fine looking RIReds. This past spring I bought 5 BR pullets from this woman at the feed store who said she could wing sex them looked like she had a couple hundred or so to choose from. I told her I didn't think you could sex them that way, but she convinced me other wise. I ended up with 4 roos, 3 made some good dumplings, I kept one he was a nice looking boy ,but his feet are still white and I don't think they're going to turn yellow now, and bless her heart she got one right A Perfect little Dominique pullet so I guess I got my 9$worth of experience. Mama always said can't beat the learnin' from the school of Hard Nox.

Back
Top Bottom