White comb Grandma Chicken

biaj069

Chirping
May 26, 2013
I posted before about Grandma and her comb. I gave her Duramycin, wormed her as recommended, and dusted her as recommended. She is up and running around and talking to me, but since I duted her right eye is yucky and sorta swollen, it's the eye she tucks in when sleeping. Is it possible that it's irritated from the dusting? Otherwise she is doing much better, her comb is still pale, but it's filling in. I was also wondering since I rescued her and 5 others and have treated them too, how long I need to wait before thinking about consuming eggs?
Thanks,
Hen Pecked

The eye might have been irritated with the dust. I'd rinse it out with saline (you can make your own, Google it) and use some ophthalmic antibiotic ointment for a few days, or you can use plain Neosporin brand name ointment. As a general rule, the wait to eat eggs is 3 weeks. However, if you're not allergic to Duramycin or tetracycline, some people would not bother.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. My son has been scrambling the eggs and feeding them to the cats and dog. Her eye will be a challenge though, her and the other 5 chickens are WILD and don't like to be touched (I rescued them off the side of the road), I should be able to get her in the morning if I am sneaky, same at bed time.

Back
Top Bottom