White Cornish: Building a Quality, Sustainable Flock for Meat and More.....

Hi. I was wondering if you'd be willing to sell me hatching eggs from your white Cornish flocks? Please let me know. Thanks!

I raised some Cornish crosses for the first time this year, and I was disappointed in how little they would forage/how lazy they were. I decided I want to breed my own Cornish or Cornish crosses, so they'd be sustainable and a lot more healthy. I was surprised to find that white Cornish chickens are hard to find! FYI I breed other rare breed chicken on my farm.

Last edited:
Hey Bill
This is my old guy! Give me your honest opinion about him.
Thanks

Hey Teddy, He looks like a bruiser! From what I can see, I like him. How old is he, three or more? Spurs like that dont come over night for a cornish!!

Hi. I was wondering if you'd be willing to sell me hatching eggs from your white Cornish flocks? Please let me know. Thanks!

I raised some Cornish crosses for the first time this year, and I was disappointed in how little they would forage/how lazy they were. I decided I want to breed my own Cornish or Cornish crosses, so they'd be sustainable and a lot more healthy. I was surprised to find that white Cornish chickens are hard to find! FYI I breed other rare breed chicken on my farm.

Hello Jan.... Yes, any good cornish are hard to come by it seems. LF Whites and WLR seem to be the hardest. Sorry, I dont sell eggs at this time. Cornish eggs ship poorly.... I would also advise against paying the extreme price they bring, outside of early season....This time of year many of the hens are still laying, but the males dont dependably hold their end up well.... IMHO, You dont need to cross a good line of cornish with anything. They are THE heritage meat bird already!

Hey Bill, yea he's four. I leave him with one hen,fertility was'nt real good this year,but his chicks that do hatch are pretty good. I've got five nice ones out of his Grandson.
Yours look really good.
Thanks and have a great day

Hey Bill, yea he's four. I leave him with one hen,fertility was'nt real good this year,but his chicks that do hatch are pretty good. I've got five nice ones out of his Grandson.
Yours look really good.
Thanks and have a great day

At 4, he is likely ready for retirement... It's been said that for natural breeding, cornish cocks just don't age well... As the "type" improves this is even more pronounced.... This has been my experience as well... In a spiral breeding program all birds are cycled out after their second year. The fertility rates remain high and the new stock should bring up the overall quality of the pen... Here is what I consider to be my best rooster. I'd like his shanks to be shorter, and his comb to lower, but I like this bird... He weighs right at 11 lb so he is a bit heavy for the standard. He has good bone, skull and heavy legs, good width, his wings are short and clam shaped, he has a nice wide back too.... But as forever will be the case, we can do better!

EDIT TO ADD: We are at the end of the breeding season and my birds are trying to molt.... They all look a bit more "scruffy" than normal! ;-)

Last edited:
This bird is out of the meat pen that I should have butchered by now.... They are 14 weeks old now..... 5lb-11oz should be great fryers... Pure cornish tasty!

Fat Daddy,

I would love to get a well bodied LF White Cornish cockerel. Right now I have BQ LF Dark Cornish. My DC rooster is going on two and genetically I have saturated my flock with him. When you cross DC with White you get a percentage of WLR is that correct?

Fat Daddy,

I would love to get a well bodied LF White Cornish cockerel. Right now I have BQ LF Dark Cornish. My DC rooster is going on two and genetically I have saturated my flock with him. When you cross DC with White you get a percentage of WLR is that correct?

[/URL]

I have heard the same about how WLR cornish came to be... But I have to believe it is a myth.... This is straight from the 44th SOP...
"In 1898 WLR cornish were produced by a cross of Shamo Japanese - Dark cornish. Became a standard variety in 1909"....

Back
Top Bottom