White Cornish: Building a Quality, Sustainable Flock for Meat and More.....

You can buy uncooked partially incubated eggs to cook. A couple of people here have hatched them... like @Kiki
Okay, I never heard of that either.
I have a lot to learn on different methods people use.
Sounds good and you would know if they were viable too.[/QUOTE]

Yup no duds being shipped. When i drop them off at the post office it will be a box full of fertile and viable eggs.

I'm really interested to hear the process and thoughts on shipping started eggs, do please report back :)

I share a lot of my knowledge on the forum however that is knowledge that wont ever make it on the forum from me. Day old chicks and eggs is the future of shipped poultry. The cost of my breeding trios is $300 minimum. When shipping os added the total cost is a minimum $700+ depending on destination. If shipping embryos is a success I'm not gonna give that edge away.

I believe eggs that are closer to the end of the incubation period might do better being shipped than eggs closer to the beginning of the incubation..

I did try to hatch balut eggs a few times and was finally successful so I know it can be done.
I'm in Houston,Texas and my eggs came from Dallas, Texas.
I do not believe that my eggs were shipped in a plane though...I believe they were driven in a vehicle.

The further along an egg is the more toletant it is to lower temps and the more intolerant ot is to heat. I've had eggs at 7 and 14 days go unheated on a 3 day weekend in a incubator that i forgot to turn on after checking. The 14 day old ones hatched right on time and the 7 day old were about a day and a half behind. Since they were in a Leahy redwood the temp drop was very, very slow.

Fertile eggs are a lot tougher than people give them credit for. I practice preincubation for the eggs i hatch. I can keep them viable for 14 days before i set and still have 85%+ success hatch rates.

Okay, I never heard of that either.
I have a lot to learn on different methods people use.
Sounds good and you would know if they were viable too.

Yup no duds being shipped. When i drop them off at the post office it will be a box full of fertile and viable eggs.

I share a lot of my knowledge on the forum however that is knowledge that wont ever make it on the forum from me. Day old chicks and eggs is the future of shipped poultry. The cost of my breeding trios is $300 minimum. When shipping os added the total cost is a minimum $700+ depending on destination. If shipping embryos is a success I'm not gonna give that edge away.

The further along an egg is the more toletant it is to lower temps and the more intolerant ot is to heat. I've had eggs at 7 and 14 days go unheated on a 3 day weekend in a incubator that i forgot to turn on after checking. The 14 day old ones hatched right on time and the 7 day old were about a day and a half behind. Since they were in a Leahy redwood the temp drop was very, very slow.

Fertile eggs are a lot tougher than people give them credit for. I practice preincubation for the eggs i hatch. I can keep them viable for 14 days before i set and still have 85%+ success hatch rates.[/QUOTE]
What does preincubation mean?
:confused:

What does preincubation mean?
:confused:

You caught that? Haven't you ever wondered how a hen with a brain pan smaller than a fat pea with only genetic imprinted memory can take 2 weeks or a little longer, set that clutch for 21 days and typically have superior rates of hatch than we can get with all our fancy technologies, thermometers and hygrometers?

That bothered me - a lot. I'm fairly certain im smarter than a chicken. I did several months of research during the winter and came up with Petersime and preincubation. Google that. There will be several links to find and read. 0nce you got that we can discuss how i adapted that technology to the backyard flock with a college refrigerator.

At least for me this was one of those, Holy crap this is so simple and I'm so.dumb, moments. Lol.

The same pullet pics 5 months apart. Should have sent her to camp Kenmore with the other culls but she had so much type despite being to small I gave her a stay of execution.
Draft (2).png
20191225_175519.jpg

Probably be an ideal pullet for someone raising bantams and needing to add size to their flock. She's just not carrying the size for me to use her in my large fowl program.

Added some new members to my flock. The first dark hen is really old and is running out of eggs. Her egg machine jump starts every once in a while. Not enough for my mentor to keep but enough for me. She's a monster and rivals the size of some roosters.

The second one is a pullet that was keeping her company. My mentor stuffed her in my carry box because he didnt want the old one to get lonely. I was surprised to discovet he's a softie.

The white cockerel is having a challenge keeping weight on. He's been wormed several times over. Shoot him up with antibiotics and he'll gain the weight back. 2-3 months later the cycle starts again.
20200101_144540.jpg
20200101_144227.jpg
20200101_203545.jpg

And it begins!
How long does your breeding season last?
Not an easy breed to find. I'm sure hatching eggs will be coming up for sale soon.

The weather and bobcats are killing me - literally. These guys and the ones I set tonight for hatching this Wednesday is from a fabulous cockerel that was taken by a cat 4 weeks ago. He wont be taking anymore however. I've taken 2 so far this year and working on number 3.

Usually by May they're slowing down quite a bit when the hot weather starts. I try to get my needs done by March and then make the remaining eggs available for sale.

Sounds like you need to move Fort Knox to Texas. My biggest problem is a little fox. I turned on a radio now, haven't had a problem since.
Let me know when your ready to sell hatching eggs I would like to start with a quality blood line.

Back
Top Bottom