White crested black polish with irritated eyes

sbutler12025

Chirping
May 28, 2021
Hey all! It's been a rough month. We lost 5 of our chickens in the span of three weeks. Our three newest additions (2 Silkie and 1 satin all cockerels) our only ISA brown only 7 weeks old and my sweet sweet Iggy (little white crested black polish Bantam)

We were left with one broken hearted buff Silkie rooster Pumpkin. And my very sad 9 year old daughter. The wonderful woman we originally got Pumpkin from reached out to me after hearing about our loss and offered me three girls for my sweet boy. We now have an absolutely beautiful 9 month old white Silkie and what she called a blue Silkie who is at the end of a bad molt (she looks more black, are blue Silkies actually called black? Doesn't matter to me either way) she is over a year old.

AND she gave us one of my sweet Iggy girls sisters! (Hope she's a girl anyway!!) A white crested black polish Bantam Who is about 6-7 months old. Now my post today is really about this one. So when I brought Iggy home originally I had noticed her eyes were a little swollen and red, after a few days though it cleared up and never came back. This new polish I noticed last night also has these swollen red eyes! I am hoping it will clear up the same way that Iggys did after a few days. But what would cause this?
With Iggy I had came to the conclusion that she must have been allergic to whatever bedding the lady was using but now I'm not sure. The new polish I didn't notice her eyes being red the day I brought her home (then again she was very tired from the car ride and moving into a new home so she slept most of the evening and had her eyes closed the majority of the evening) it was only the next day that I realized she had it. Is there some type of sickness that does this but isn't contagious and clears up on its own? None of the others ever had it when Iggy did and neither of my two new silkies who live with this polish have it either.. is it possible it's from the owners bedding (saw dust)? Or a sensitivity from switching from that over to the pine shavings that I use?
I couldn't get a good picture of her eyes. But the inner eyelids are red and slightly swollen. Photos attached of the polish in question with the best photos I could manage. And the other two new girls.
20211102_222149.jpg
20211102_214911~2.jpg
20211102_222213.jpg
20211102_222206~2.jpg

Could be respiratory illness like Mycoplasma or Infectious Bronchitis, especially if you had another that had similar symptoms.

I would clean/flush the eye with saline, then apply Terramycin eye ointment in the eye. Trim the feathers from around her eyes as well. If symptoms persist or other symptoms like coughing/sneezing, mucous, etc., present, then using an antibiotic like Tylosin may be beneficial.

The Silkie, even though coming out of molt, I think I would put a very thin layer of vaseline on the comb and wattles. It may be the photo, but those look very dry, see if that makes any difference.

Inspect everyone for lice/mites too.

I'm sorry to hear you lost 5 in such a short period of time. If you have any more losses, it would be a good idea to have testing/necropsy through your state lab so you have more info about the cause. You can find your state lab here https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Back
Top Bottom