White Crested with Growth on Head

jduckymomma

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2019
Hi - I have a white-crested duck (6 weeks old) that has a large growth on the side of her head, from which some very large feathers are growing. The growth was about half the size of a pea when we got her at 1 day old, and is now about the size of a marble. Should I be concerned about this big lump? I will try to post pictures later if I can get her to hold still enough!

20191004_183527.jpg
20191004_183522.jpg
20191004_183508.jpg

Sorry, it was surprisingly hard to get any really clear pictures. It is definitely a growth,it protrudes about 3/4 of an inch out from her head. When she was a tiny little duckling, if we hit it or accidentally rubbed it with a towel or anything it would start to bleed a bit. It doesn't seem to bleed anymore, now that it has feather growth.

If a vet is an option I’d go that route. Is this a female? That big crest is going to suffer at the mouth of a drake if you have any. Also the place your talking about. Being there is no skull under that poof. I’d def keep her away from drakes. As for that growth I wish I knew but it should probably be looked at especially since it bleeds. Let’s see if we can get @casportpony to have a look. Sure is a pretty duckling.

Yes, LePoof is a female (yep, that's what my kids named her!). We are currently working on rehoming our one drake to make it an all-female flock, so that should hopefully not be an issue by the time they are ready to fully free range. We have one male and one female who are older, so I am hoping the older female will bond with the new girls after we rehome our drake. So far, she seems to hate them, but hopefully once "her man" is gone, she will realize they are all she has!

Back
Top Bottom