White Egg Layer Breed Suggestions

If you own Leghorns (brown, white, any colour) - where did you get them? Are they flighty?

• hatchery, flighty

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • hatchery, not flighty

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • not from hatchery, flighty

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • not from hatchery, not flighty

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
We have two white leghorns, and of the 7 birds we have, they let us get the closest before walking just out of reach again. When we pick them up, they don't freak out nearly as much as the barred rocks or columbian.

The eggs, though, are on the smaller side.......probably the equivalent of a commercial 'medium'. They are only 8 months old at this point, though, so maybe they'll get larger as time goes on. When they started laying, they were no bigger than a ping pong ball! Very cute.

Maybe I'll try a Leghorn pullet or two, and as many Lakenvelders as I can find! Thank you for your feedback. I do have some bantams that are somewhat flighty, and I don't have a problem with them.

If you are interested in hatching leghorns for super cheap, trader Joe's sells fertile eggs. I've hatched them out with 60% and 75% hatchrate which isn't shabby for $3.50/doz. I kept two from the ones I hatched and although they aren't super friendly like my orps and rsls, they don't fly over the 4' fence, which is all I could really ask for.

Looks like you have gotten very good advice.I don't play with my birds either but I enjoy watching then run around the yard. my favorites of the white egg layers is the Siverlaced Hamburge's . they usually don't work out as pets but they'll fly away from predators. and to me are the most fun to watch. I like to get mine from a good hatchery. I got some from a friend and the were sick. so go to a trusted sores. some places offer juveniles. As far as egg production go's you cant beat a white leghorn. but to me there's more to birds then just eggs. good luck.

I do see a Lakenvelder breeder in BC.

Thank you for all the advice!

I see something interesting with the poll (50% hatchery/flighty and 50% non-hatchery/not flighty), but then again there are only 4 votes.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom