white egg layer crossed with a brown egg layer

dave3877

Songster
12 Years
Sep 16, 2007
crockett, texas
ok dumb question but here goes. i hjave a a few different pens for my birds out here and i call one of them the surprise pen because i have all my singles or low count of breeds in it. well i have a sicilian buttercup rooster and a rhode island red hen in it among a few other things but these being the parents that have mated and produced some adorable chicks which im including a photo of. well the question i have is what color egg will the chicks lay at maturity? im still learning about genetics and any simplified explanation will be helpful.
4007_new_image.jpg

4007_new_image1.jpg

4007_new_image2.jpg

Last edited:
I have some mixed (white layer over brown layer) and all 4 of my girls lay different shades of brown. The one that looks more like the white layer lays the lightest egg, not sure if that is coincidence or not...
The rest lay a darker brown, but none as dark as the brown layer...

thanks everybody. very helpful. i was figuring it was a cream color or tan. but you never can tell. guess ill know in a few months. ive got about 200 chickens right now and 15 different breeds so i will have to do some more mixing with the odd ones

Back
Top Bottom