White egg layer recommendations?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Roux, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Roux

Roux Chillin' With My Peeps

I just realized I have *no* white egg layers, and would like to add 2-3 to round out my upcoming chick order. Does anyone have recommendations for a breed that is hardy in winter (I'm in NH) & plays fairly well with others (i.e. isn't terribly likely to go around kicking the snot out of my other birds).

Thanks in advance!!!

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I have two of Ideals 236 breed, much like a leghorn - they're pretty hardy and gosh they present eggs almost every day - mine are just 24 weeks old.
    The do have a large comb, which might be an issue - one of my girls have got black dots on her comb... startings of frostbite... but otherwise they do really well in our cold.

3. Roux

Roux Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Thanks for the input!

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Can't beat the leghorn for laying eggs like mad. My one girl was pulling though the flock of 10 laying girls all winter by laying about 1/3 to 1/2 of ALL the eggs!!! She's a fiesty girl but is on the bottom half of the pecking order. My up and comming leghorn baby is also at the bottom, but she is tough and one smart cookie. She intergrated with the adult flock and went to sleep with them within the first 4 days of relocation from the baby pen. Two weeks later.. I'm still religiously moving her baby mates over every night. [​IMG]

5. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I have an ideal 236 and a california white that lays great.If you want a colorful white egg layer that will pretty much keep up with the leghorns try an ancona.I have one from Ideal and she lay's just as good as the two leghorns and a very pretty black and white mottled pattern with a floppy leghorn type comb.

6. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Leghorns come in more varieties than just white.

7. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Quote:You might like the more rare Leghorn varieties like the Silver, Exchequer, or Barred.

8. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Quote:Yeah I know cause I have a brown one also.

9. ZuniBee

ZuniBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    I have seven of Ideals 236 breed and I agree with Wildsky - they're pretty hardy and I get 5 to 6 white eggs every day - even in winter. Mine started laying at 18 weeks old. Plus, they are a funny looking bird!

[​IMG]

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

My leghorns are what I like to call "dirt colored"... they were white... I really like the look of the Exchequer leghorns though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by