White egg layer recommendations?

Roux

Songster
12 Years
Jan 12, 2008
Middle of Nowhere, Iowa
I just realized I have *no* white egg layers, and would like to add 2-3 to round out my upcoming chick order. Does anyone have recommendations for a breed that is hardy in winter (I'm in NH) & plays fairly well with others (i.e. isn't terribly likely to go around kicking the snot out of my other birds).

Thanks in advance!!!

I have two of Ideals 236 breed, much like a leghorn - they're pretty hardy and gosh they present eggs almost every day - mine are just 24 weeks old.
The do have a large comb, which might be an issue - one of my girls have got black dots on her comb... startings of frostbite... but otherwise they do really well in our cold.

big_smile.png
Thanks for the input!

Can't beat the leghorn for laying eggs like mad. My one girl was pulling though the flock of 10 laying girls all winter by laying about 1/3 to 1/2 of ALL the eggs!!! She's a fiesty girl but is on the bottom half of the pecking order. My up and comming leghorn baby is also at the bottom, but she is tough and one smart cookie. She intergrated with the adult flock and went to sleep with them within the first 4 days of relocation from the baby pen. Two weeks later.. I'm still religiously moving her baby mates over every night.
roll.png

I have an ideal 236 and a california white that lays great.If you want a colorful white egg layer that will pretty much keep up with the leghorns try an ancona.I have one from Ideal and she lay's just as good as the two leghorns and a very pretty black and white mottled pattern with a floppy leghorn type comb.

I have seven of Ideals 236 breed and I agree with Wildsky - they're pretty hardy and I get 5 to 6 white eggs every day - even in winter. Mine started laying at 18 weeks old. Plus, they are a funny looking bird!

236DSC00192.jpg

Back
Top Bottom