White faced black Spanish enthusiasts, come hither!

Pics
Hey that would be great! I am in Blountstown, between Tallahassee and Panama City. Mine are between 6 days and a couple weeks. Looks like at least two roosters so far. I will try to get some pics soon.

My new WFBS breeding pen! Very excited. Hope that the white tips on the tail and wing I see will moult out, as they are just a year old, and definitely have to cull hard for 'leggier' chicks. But their top line is great, nice back length.

That male is really nice. How old is he and do you know (ballpark) how much weighs? Would you say that he has enough flesh that he could be used for meat? My birds are lacking in the size department. Hard to believe these should weight 8 lbs. They are complicated, as there are some with good faces that are underweight, yet sometimes the ones with good size have wrinkly/puffy faces. Hard to get that balance, I see that you are on your way. One thing to note is his eye color is nice and dark. Often we are seeing eyes going toward yellow and that is incorrect.

I'm seeing white tips in tail feathers as well - however they were not present in the pullets but did show up after the last moult. Will be interesting to see what happens with your birds.

Can you expand on what you mean by "leggier"? Thanks for sharing the photos. How many chicks do you plan on hatching this year?

Here are some of my White Faced Black Spanish- large fowl. I am in Virginia. I have a few of last years pullets and a cockerel available if anyone is interested. I have been working with them for a few years now.

Here are some of my White Faced Black Spanish- large fowl. I am in Virginia. I have a few of last years pullets and a cockerel available if anyone is interested. I have been working with them for a few years now.

Those are some of the better spanish i have seen. All the ones here in arizona and most of the ones in the poultry press have great white faces but are so small they should be disqualified. I got from spanish from someone Here in Arizona and she always wins best medditeranean with her birds. But the hens i got from her were only 2 pounds when they should be 5 And those are the type of birds she usually wins with too.

Those are some of the better spanish i have seen. All the ones here in arizona and most of the ones in the poultry press have great white faces but are so small they should be disqualified. I got from spanish from someone Here in Arizona and she always wins best medditeranean with her birds. But the hens i got from her were only 2 pounds when they should be 5 And those are the type of birds she usually wins with too.

Mine are much closer to 5 lbs, nice sized birds. These are really nice. My hens "white face"'s are taking their time to come in. The cockerels were very white pretty quickly.

redandalusian Thanks for the response. That is very interesting about the weights. This is the first time I've gotten solid feedback on weights other folks are getting on their birds. That's a real nice Minorca in your avatar, I can tell that she has some size to her. I looked at your profile, I see that you have blue Spanish as well, would l;ove to see photos.

Thinking of crossing in the biggest Minorca I can find to get the size up, but then lose the face for awhile. Have any of you done this, how were the results?

The birds that I posted are under weight by about a pound. I guess all we can do is only use the best fleshed birds each year. I've seen them in the poultry press as well and wondered about weight as it is difficult to tell from photos.

Anderson that's something interesting about the breed as well. Your faces are still coming in faster than what you sometimes hear. One thing you never see is the face that extends down way below the wattles like the illustration in the standard. I would love to see a bird like that. Maybe one day...

Speaking of patience, I hatch in March - April but I do not see eggs in the fall. They don't begin laying until early Feb of the next year. Are you guys seeing similar results?

Back
Top Bottom