White Geese or Swans to scare away Canada Geese?

Hi guys, I have a 4-acre pond that is a favorite stopping spot for migrating geese in the Fall and Spring- and although I love nature, the problem here is I get literally hundreds, maybe even thousands of geese. There are so many geese and so much poop that it actually hurts my pond. I get massive algae blooms and fish die (probably from chemical imbalances at the shoreline during rain pushing all to poop in).

You may think I am overacting, but ONE Canada goose can poop 2 pounds per day. I have hundreds of them there for weeks at a time. Do the math- just 100 geese x 2 pounds x 90 days = 18,000 pounds of poop into my pond, or almost 10 tons of goose poop. That's a serious issue.

I have a Doberman and he does a decent job of chasing them off, but even he can't keep up because he's not outside all the time. So I have read, which I think is false but wanted to ask- that having White Geese which are wing-clipped / other (essentially residents) will grow very territorial and keep Canada geese away. Is this true?

I read the same about white swans, but they are crazy expensive (like $4K per pair).

Any help would be appreciated. I hate to resort to what other posters have said works... grape kool-aid and anti-goose sprays.
There are breeders selling swan cygnets for $400 each. If you are still considering swans , look me up on FB (@ pet-goose pretty-bird) & I'll get you in touch with some of the breeders I know!

Back
Top Bottom