WHite gross stuff in back of ROOS throat!!! Laryngo?????

bantamgal

Songster
11 Years
Mar 2, 2008
He is 5 months old and when he crows,afterwards, when he intakes breath, he wheezes. This started about 4 days ago and is not getting any better. He is regular weight and no other symptoms. Poop is good. Apetite good, energy good. He is on pine shavings, but when I brought him in his cage I put down newspapers so it wouldnt be so messy in the house. He was free ranging and stayed in coop at night. No other birds have these symptoms. He is eating flock raiser. And some vitamins in the water. I just put him on flock raiser. I am worried about him because this just doesnt seem right. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Can you caught him and pick him up to listen closely to his breathing? He may have some sort respiratory thing going on. Does he sneeze? Vet Rx can releive symptoms, but doesn't cure if it's a disease. You can order it online. Put some under his wings and nosterils. It's like Vicks vapor rub for chickens.

Good luck!

Can you describe the sound a bit more? Does it sound like rattling, and is it ONLY on the breath after he crows? Any sneezing?

I noticed him sneezing before this happened, but havent heard him sneeze lately. The sneeze was a very short stacato high pitched 'ep'.

I put my ear to his back and his side and cant hear anything unusual. Just after he crows it is a very distinct and pretty loud noise. AEAEAEAEHHHHHaeaeaaehhhhh. and kinda long. It is not wet, (yet
fl.gif
), but it is not right. Something must be wrong with him.
sad.png
Poor guy.

Gosh, it's so hard to know without hearing it. Do you by ANY chance have a digital camera that records videos with sound? I have a pretty inexpensive one that will take a short (I think 15 second) video and it records sound with it. If you could possibly do that, it would be very helpful.

No I dont. Bummer. I am worried about the little guy. I suppose I could try VetRX but it will take a while to get it.

At first I thought the wheezing would go away, but its not.

Have you ever heard a person that smokes ciggarettes and when they inhale their lungs wheeze? It is like that only fairly loud, you can hear it across the house, but I dont have a very big house. Or someone with an asthma attack?

It has no liquidy sounds, and he is only wheezing after he crows.

Hmmm. Sounds like a low pitched whistle OOOOOOOoooooooooooo with a bit of a rasp, kinda long and drawn out.

Well he is a banty so it isnt as loud as a large rooster.

Last edited:
I usually jump on stuff right away when I first notice it, so it is not 'the worst case scenario' but may be if I dont do something.
hmm.png

It seems odd that he's not sneezing, and only makes this sound after he crows. Can you look in his mouth and see if you can identify any irritation (redness) or sores? Should look like this:

Splash-openmouth.jpg

If it's more red, there's something in there irritating him.

O MY Goodness What a lovely picture.
lol.png
BRB

I never thought of that. Will do. brb

Last edited:
OK I did that. It looks like that, but he has some saliva in the back of his throat (liquidy and whitish) and he is stuffed up a bit. I could hear it when I opened his mouth. Kinda like 'gha nha', a little liquidy sounding too.

Kinda like a child when they are a bit stuffy but liguidy sound. Not too bad, but you know its there and not right.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom