White Jersey Giants

Do you ever sell any of your White Jersey Giant chicks or eggs? I am trying to start a small flock of the White's here in North Carolina.

Thank you,
John McEvoy
I could try and ship you some eggs in April of next year, my first trio would be laying by then, if you want them sooner try someone else, let us stay in touch.
John (aka ocap)

I breed Jersey Giants as well and find it depends on the lines. Some are quite small and if you have the ability to incubate, and time, you can produce the larger birds to the standards as laid out by the APA. My first flock consisted of 11 purchased birds (2 roos and 9 hens). The roos were of extreme size, and only half my hens were what I would consider large. I bred the large and sold the smaller hens, and have now introduced new lines and am producing some very large offspring. I have just started with the colours. I have bred the blues, and have recently purchase white from a hatchery.

Hello. Recently, my family moved to our first farm. I just received my first flock on Mother's Day. Several Barred Rock, a white leghorn, a RIR and a RIR Roo. Then added a few Americauna chicks. I'm really enjoying the temperament of the PBR's: layed back and friendly.

Now I'm very interested in the JG's for the same reason. As well as the fact that I like "giant" of any animal...I also have St. Bernard dogs.

I am looking for a White JG breeder in Central California. If anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated.

I understand that WJGs are slower growing. At what average age would a cockerel get to be 9-10 lbs? Thinking about raising some for a larger roasting fowl. Thanks.

I can't answer for whites specifically but my blacks and blues are generally 10 lbs at 6 months. The whites should grow out close to that, maybe by 7 months.

Great. Thank you very much. I may get some next spring and try them out.
thumbsup.gif

I've got 2 JG white pullets from meyer hatchery. They are almost 5 months old, I haven't weighed them but they are pretty and the largest of their age group.

I bought white jersey giants( as well as black and splash) this past May from Sand Hill Preservation Center. The whites seem hard to keep alive when young compared to the others for some strange reason. We lost 2 in shipping, and one seemingly healthy white rooster just fell over dead one day. No other deaths occurred afterwards, and we keep the area scrupulously clean, plus the others seem fine. So we don't have very many whites at all now. They're 6.5 months old now. I'll try to get some better pictures of the whites specifically.

This is our first time with a large number of chickens (35) and the first time we get stock with the intent to breed. Also, the 17 JG hens started laying last month, about 5 months old. A month later, they seem to be averaging about 6 eggs per day. There is a big range of sizes among them; some have extremely thick feet and legs, others more slender. The hens' sizes seem more varied than the roosters too. I have a very tiny black JG hen with some reddish brass streaks near her neck..Wondering if she's a cross, though Sand Hill is supposed to be pretty reputable. Since they're getting older now I'm looking up information on culling so that i know which to keep. We have too many roosters right now, but surprisingly they aren't killing each other, as all the birds share a giant coop and yard. I'm interested in purchasing some higher quality whites, as mine seem to be on the small side compared to the blacks and splashes. My largest white rooster seems to have a beigeish tone to his feathers. That is a fault i assume, but since his bone structure is heavier than the others, is this a forgivable fault or a dealbreaker?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom