White Jersey Giants

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AllenWMiller, Jan 21, 2012.

1. BGMatt

BGMatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA
    Just found this thread by coincidence, but on the discussion about creating a new line of them, the White in Jersey Giants is a simple recessive white just like it is in the Langshan, so if you want to improve the quality or start a new line on the Whites, you can cross them to Black (or a blue but that's more confusing), and then either breed those offspring together for 25% whites (50% of the offspring will still be carrying white) or breed back to the original White for 50% White and 50% Black split to White. I can't believe I'm about to say this but you could probably even get away with using a hatchery male for the first year over really good stock Blacks.

2. feathers4fun

feathers4fun Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Oregon
    Thanks Matt! That is what we are doing, just takes time as we did start with, basically, hatchery whites and really nice Blacks.

3. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    What are the weights on the Sand Hill White Jersey Giants? I have a quintet of Black's (Blue rooster), they are 7 months old and are ginormous, haven't weighed them yet.

4. informative

informative Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2013
    Any thoughts on the idea of crossing these with Buff Orps or maybe even Red Star types to keep the birds large but hope to speed up maturation and egg laying?

This of course is setting aside all notions of SOP show colors and just looking for a large hardy bird that lays well, good personality, heat and cold tolerant, possibly even able to broody hatch some of their own chicks and fend off low level flying predators (we have hawks and vultures mostly in our local bird of prey category)

5. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas

That might increase egg production. Mine doesn't need that ( I have the Blacks) out of four hens I got four eggs.
    The crossing to Buff Orpingtons and especially to Red Star you'll loose type and size. Type and size are what Jersey Giants are all about.

I'm looking for the White variety and also Blacks to put back into my flock.

6. informative

informative Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2013
    I've ordered a half box of JG whites from Ideal Hatchery in Texas but they wont be shipping until April. I'll come back and post what sort of quality giants they have over time.

I know the thumbs down all the chicken people give the hatcheries but I still buy some from hatcheries and then work toward the perfection of the genes that matter to me (personality, bird size/hardiness and consistent early egg production). I don't sell birds so the SOP doesn't matter to me.

7. wyochickenlady

wyochickenlady Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2014
    Casper, Wy
    I have a supposed white jersey giant. She is 7 weeks[​IMG]

8. Lucky KY Chicks

Lucky KY Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Kentucky
    Ordered 6 white Jersey Giant chicks today! 1 cockerel and 5 pullets. I'll come back with pictures when they arrive! These are my first Jersey Giants!!! They are coming from Cackle so I'll let you all assess the quality once they are older.

9. Lucky KY Chicks

Lucky KY Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Kentucky
    Here they are!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is my little cockerel
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  10. Mpks92

Mpks92 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2014
    Mariposa CA.
    I live in California near Yosemite. Does any one near me have any jersey giants? I really want to add some to our flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by