White Jersey Giants

Good morning!  my dad ordered chicks from a hatchery this spring. they arrived yesterday and I was looking to see if they were indeed whites! I was surprised by the greyish coloring.

Anyway... I have a bunch of cornishX and a hen that i am considering trying to keep to POL, has anyone ever tried to cross the WJG with a CX?  i dont know that it would be beneficial to the JG or not. I would like a chicken that gets big.. but maybe not quite as quickly as the CX. 

White Jersey Giant chicks are grey, they turn white when the feather out.
If your cx lives to lay, most just die but I've heard of some people having them live that long, what you will probably get is a more efficient JG and a less efficient CX. What you will probably lose is the size of the JG and the meatiness of the CX. Doesn't hurt to have a side experiment though. I have white JGs coming from SandHill, supposed to have been last week but I put down all of May and June as alterative hatch dates. I plan on putting a pullet in with my white silkies to up their size, hoping for some giant black meat chickens. I will keep the rest purebred.
If it doesn't work out with the CX try to find some good heritage white cornish rocks, or delaware if your still interested in a cross.

White Jersey Giant chicks are grey, they turn white when the feather out.
If your cx lives to lay, most just die but I've heard of some people having them live that long, what you will probably get is a more efficient JG and a less efficient CX. What you will probably lose is the size of the JG and the meatiness of the CX. Doesn't hurt to have a side experiment though. I have white JGs coming from SandHill, supposed to have been last week but I put down all of May and June as alterative hatch dates. I plan on putting a pullet in with my white silkies to up their size, hoping for some giant black meat chickens. I will keep the rest purebred.
If it doesn't work out with the CX try to find some good heritage white cornish rocks, or delaware if your still interested in a cross.
thats what i was hoping i would get.. a good size that isnt as fast growing as the CX. after looking at my CX last night.. i have at least one pullet who looks to have decent legs, but i have one nicer looking cockeral.. no way my dad would give up a pullet for one of my experiments!

I raise White Jersey Giants. Had them a little over a year now. I got mine from an individual in Missouri. No idea what lines they came from. My roo has some pink on his feet which I understand to be a flaw in the breed. He is 16 lbs. The hens are around 10. I have hatched chicks with an incubator, and this week have my first broody hen. From what I have read they usually don't do well with that. I left her with 5 eggs to see what happens. The rest are in my incubator. Wonderful breed, big lap babies that I love.

I raise White Jersey Giants. Had them a little over a year now. I got mine from an individual in Missouri. No idea what lines they came from. My roo has some pink on his feet which I understand to be a flaw in the breed. He is 16 lbs. The hens are around 10. I have hatched chicks with an incubator, and this week have my first broody hen. From what I have read they usually don't do well with that. I left her with 5 eggs to see what happens. The rest are in my incubator. Wonderful breed, big lap babies that I love.
Awesome! Sounds to me like you got some good ones. IMHO size is the most important, all other flaws can be worked out. Still waiting for mine from SandHill, I hear they have flaws, hoping size isn't one of them. You've heard they don't make good broodies? From what I've heard they are great, the problem is their size, sometimes they squash the chicks?

Last edited:
they may be hatchery chicks but the color confirmation seems to be correct

Update on size when they fill out @JRNash.
They look about the same age as my SandHill white giants, hanging out with red sussex and one langshan. All my giants seem to have correct leg color but a couple of them are more of a dirty grey color rather than pure white.

Looks like we both have awhile to wait before we see if they are truly 'giant' in size :)

Back
Top Bottom