White leghorn 10 months old still not laying

charlene1

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 27, 2012
Our white leghorn is 10 months old and still has not layed. She looks sickly today. Could she be egg bound? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

Thank you for your response. I guess I was seeing things. She was sitting very still like in a trance when scratch was put in with her, when normally she would get all excited with the others. She snapped out of it and began acting normal after that. Now she is eating and running around BUT STILL NO EGG. Can you believe it! We are worried about her of course. She looks normal except her feathers are changing and she looks like she has the frizzies. We got her and 3 other kinds of chicks on Feb 25, 2012. So don't you think she should be laying by now?

Chickens don't lay eggs when they molt. But 10 months and still no eggs. And it's a leghorn. Leghorns are one of the most productive chickens. Laying about 300 eggs a year. My white leghorns are about 6 months(24 weeks) old, and for the last week or so I've been getting an egg a day from every leghorn.

This is really a mystery! Unless she is a rooster that doesn't crow and lets the rooster mate with her then the only other thing is if she lays brown eggs. We were told she would lay white eggs so that's what we look for. All the others lay either green or brown eggs. She looks fine and is active & eating so maybe she is a freak!

Back
Top Bottom