White Leghorn Egg Color

KatieG509

Songster
6 Years
Jan 5, 2017
Westminster, Colorado
Hello! Just a random question- do white leghorns ever lay brown eggs?We have a 25-ish week old leghorn, who I thought would lay white ones, but we haven’t seen any white eggs yet. Instead, I’m getting a small brown egg that is either coming from her or one of our Australorps who hasn’t laid an egg in like 8 months.

Thanks!

We had dark brown Leghorns that took FOREVER to lay. The first one laid an egg around 36 weeks, then around 44 weeks, the the third girl hadn’t started laying yet when we sold them at 45 weeks, and they were hatched in Feb, so had plenty of light. But, Leghorns only lay white eggs.

I have 5 Brown Leghorns in my flock (also some EE, BO and a couple of miscellaneous) and I get 4 white eggs and a very light cream one from the BLs. It's almost white, but not quite as white as the others. These birds are from Myers hatchery. If all the eggs looked the same as the cream one, I would assume they were white; it is only because the other four are brighter white that I can see the difference. This cream egg is a little more translucent than the others.

I have 5 Brown Leghorns in my flock (also some EE, BO and a couple of miscellaneous) and I get 4 white eggs and a very light cream one from the BLs. It's almost white, but not quite as white as the others. These birds are from Myers hatchery. If all the eggs looked the same as the cream one, I would assume they were white; it is only because the other four are brighter white that I can see the difference. This cream egg is a little more translucent than the others.
Mine came from Cackle Hatchery in Missouri. I wonder if I should cull that egg from the hatching batch?

Back
Top Bottom