White Leghorn or White Rock? 3-4 week old chick question.

Sparrow

Songster
11 Years
Apr 11, 2008
I just brought home a new batch of 9 chicks about 3 weeks ago, and I have a question about the breed(s) of 3 of my babies. I purchased 2 smallish, light bodied chicks that are almost completely white with only a small yellowish dot on the back of their heads. They are growing like the other chicks, but their bodies are lighter and they can fly better than the rest of the group. At the feed store, they told me that they "didn't know, but thought these were White Rock chicks"...which was exactly what I was looking for...instead of Leghorns.

About a week later, I went back in to the same store and purchased another chick from the same bin...which claimed to have White Leghorns and White Rocks in it...because it looked very different from the white chicks I already had. It is younger than my other chicks, but is bigger and heavier than my first two white ones, it is a light buttery yellowish color all over, but it's wing feathers are growing in pure white, and it has smoky grey color on it's head and neck. I suspected that this one was a White Rock because of it's heavy build and different coloration, but the feed store people were trying to tell me that they thought it was a Leghorn, not a White Rock. Again, they didn't know for sure, but they thought it was this way.
roll.png

Anyway, these 3 babies appear to be two different breeds, and I was wondering if you guys could help me out on this issue. I love them all, as well as the rest of my chicks, and they are all so tame and friendly, but I'm just wondering if I'm correct in my breed assumptions!

Oh, the chick in my avatar is my Black Australorp baby Nightshade, she is even bigger now than she was at picture time and she absolutely loves to perch on my fingers and arm.
smile.png

I would love to post a picture of my chickens, and I have some really good ones online on another forum at the moment, but I have to access both the BYC forum and my Photobucket account through Internet Explorer. So, I'm going to try to take some time to figure out how to get around that, or just email myself the links to the pics.....anyway.

Thank for the pictures of your Leghorn chickie! She looks to be about the same age as mine, and she looks identical to my 2 suspected Leghorn girls Vera and Simone.

Another thing I noticed yesterday is that my suspected White Rock, named Buttercup, looks like his comb is growing pretty quickly and it looks like it is starting to get a reddish flush. So, I'm thinking he is going to be a rooster...also indicating he cannot be a Leghorn because they were sexed pullets.

Well, if my White Rock, Buttercup, becomes a rooster, and I know I already have a Black Australorp rooster, named Fleckerel, I'm going to have a very "PC" chickenyard.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom