1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

white leghorn . . . recessive white?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KatyTheChickenLady, Oct 20, 2009.

1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I want to plug a cross into the chicken calculator (practicing [​IMG] ) and I think I know that White leghorns are dominant white . . . but thought I would check with experts first!
    thanks in advance!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  2. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    never mind, by messing with the calculator I see that they are just white. Not dominant or recessive, just plain ol' white!

3. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Typical white leghorns ARE dominant white. The problem is they also very often have additional genes that have a side effect of making them a 'cleaner' white with clean yellow legs. So they often have one or more of: silver, mottle, I'm guessing E or ER, sex linked barring, blue etc. Some lines also have recessive white, also to help with the whitening.

Basically with white leghorns.. you just have to cross 'em out to see what they have. Silver, E(or ER?), and sex linked barring are probably the most common genes present in them.

4. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    that's interesting . . . sooo back to the drawing board for me!
    ok then, I have some pulletts, they came from a RIR X with a White Leghorn.
    I don't know if the RIR was the roo or the hen but I am SUSPECTING it was the roo because someone told me that way they could wing feather sex and they did come from a hatchery where that would be a valuable trait. They are 12 weeks old and a light red, rather like a RIR X RIW sex link. I saw a cockeral from the same batch and he was colored darker like a RIR.
    I am asking for the correct colors because I want to use them in a further cross, but first need to get them into the calculator correctly as the parents . . . this is soooooo hard! I am in awe of you genetics folks everyday.
    here is a pic of Little Red:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by