White Leghorn (?)

AlineD

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Wyoming
I am a brand new chicken raiser, and I picked up four white leghorns a couple of weeks ago. They're now about four weeks old. Three of them look the same- all white, yellowish/pinkish legs, and obvious crests which are about the same size. The fourth is also white, but it's legs and skin coloring is greenish. It's crest is undeveloped compared to the rest- almost just a smooth bump. It's healthy and seems fine and is the largest (though not by much) of the chicks. Is this just a variation of the white leghorn, or maybe a hybrid? Any thoughts, ideas?

Thanks!

Yes, I mean comb. Sorry- I'm a newbie. Maybe it's a mutant...or something. :) Anyhow, the store claimed it was a white leghorn.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

I agree, my first thought is Easter egger. I'd also consider a Jersey Giant, they come in white and have willow/green legs. They're a lot slower to develop then a Leghorn.

PHOTOS!!! Okay, in the top photo are two of the white leghorns. Legs are pretty yellow, and they have visible combs. When they were smaller chicks, the legs were more pink, but they are getting yellower as they get older. The bottom photo is of the questionable breed. Obviously green and maybe starting to turn a bit bluish legs, a much smaller (barely there) comb, and now that I really look, I think she is fuller around the beard area. Maybe she's a leghorn/araucana or ameraucana cross? I guess that would make her an Easter Egger, right? At the store there were three breeds available, labeled Araucana (though I'm skeptical of that claim, now), White Leghorn, and Barred Rocks. I'm curious to see what color eggs she lays. Thanks to all who have commented so far.

Last edited:

PHOTOS!!! Okay, in the top photo are two of the white leghorns. Legs are pretty yellow, and they have visible combs. When they were smaller chicks, the legs were more pink, but they are getting yellower as they get older. The bottom photo is of the questionable breed. Obviously green and maybe starting to turn a bit bluish legs, a much smaller (barely there) comb, and now that I really look, I think she is fuller around the beard area. Maybe she's a leghorn/araucana or ameraucana cross? I guess that would make her an Easter Egger, right? At the store there were three breeds available, labeled Araucana (though I'm skeptical of that claim, now), White Leghorn, and Barred Rocks. I'm curious to see what color eggs she lays. Thanks to all who have commented so far.

I don't "do" Easter Eggers myself, but it wouldn't surprise me if the questionable one was an EE. Maybe someone was admiring her at the store and then put her back in the leghorn area by mistake? Regardless, they are all cuties. :) Sorry I wasn't more help.

Back
Top Bottom