White Leghorns: are they really that mean?

I looove my leggies! I have 4 white (Ideal 236) pullets and honestly they're the best, hardiest birds we've got. I get an egg a day from each of them, consistently. I think they are great chickens! Not overly friendly, but not flighty either. Just right, IMO.
smile.png

None are aggressive. I had one leghorn roo, but he was a little much for my bantam hens so we culled him. He was never mean or nasty, just simply too big. I am after me some bantam leghorns right now.

I think you'll find that the more birds you have the less attention you'll be able to pay to them and that will make the difference.
We had a good number of White Leghorns on the farm when I was young and there were some that, as kids, we handled and were not flighty or mean. However, those hens we did not handle were somewhat skitchy but not mean unless they were setting, something we allowed a few to do. The roosters could be quite aggressive however at their worst the didn't hold a candle to the geese.
Talk about some mean SOBs.

IMO. Leghorns are some of the sweetest. They were the first breed I ever got. I love my roo to death. He protects his girls and is nice to me. He will sleep on the couch,bed, or whereever he can get to.
16241_img_0528.jpg

16241_img_0964.jpg

Last edited:
"...at their worst they didn't hold a candle to the geese."

Oh, yeah. Having had both, I'd say that the Leghorns were generally just a nuisance, while the geese could bang you up if they caught you off guard.

My leghorns produce fantastically but are terribly mean to all my other hens. They are battery cage rescues and viciously attack many of my other hens. Not a fan of them outside of their laying capabilities.

My leghorns produce fantastically but are terribly mean to all my other hens. They are battery cage rescues and viciously attack many of my other hens. Not a fan of them outside of their laying capabilities.

All of our leghorns have been the sweetest hens. I find them to be quite intelligent and friendly. In fact I am glad my Daisy is our alpha hen. She actually defends the lowest in the pecking order. She jumps in my lap and loves attention. Lay's an egg every day too, winter or summer. Great chickens if you interact with them.

Back
Top Bottom