White leghorns... argh...

I felt the same way you do when I first got ours. BUT! Now that we only have three hens of egg laying age and one of them is too old and doesn't lay, boy do I love knowing that most days, I am going to have at least one white egg waiting for me! Old reliable Ms. Leghern.
smile.png

A.T. Hagan :

Unless you are eating the shells what difference does the color make?

I like my Leghorn girls. More eggs on less feed.

Plus they are amongst the prettiest chickens man has engineered. The very flightiness that some have problems with stands them in good stead if you free range. A flighty hen is harder for the preds to catch.​

We have 2 Leghorns that are fun to watch. They are very noisy and watch everything you do. One doesn't want anything to do with you but will keep any eye out. While the other is friendly and wants to be in the middle of everything
smile.png

They are 15 weeks old.

Quote:
I have heard this from other leghorn owners as well. It seems that the brown (Danish) leghorns are little less wild but nowhere as calm as a sexlink or the PR/RIR breeds. Does raising them from day-old chicks make them less wild and easier with people?

Last edited:
We have two white leghorns and they're the most curious of our eight. Maybe a little flighty but this is our first chicken keeping experiment so I don't know what to compare with. They'll come up asking for food and always want to check out what you're doing. We raised them as day olds but they didn't get a huge amount of handling (we had a newborn in the house who took up a little more attention!). I knew about their reputation but wanted them for white eggs to round out the basket and for their egg laying capacity.

Jisun

I have 2 White Leghorns about 4 weeks apart in age. The older one is nice to have around. She lets me pick her up with no fuss, doesn't peck at me, and comes running when I go outside, curious and eager to see what treat I might have. She's the top hen and a great layer. My younger Leghorn on the other hand, is a total Fruit Cake. Nervous and flighty, keeps her distance, won't take treats from my hand. Very hard to catch her when I want to. She's on the bottom of the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom