White Leghorns Flying, Jumping, or Perching in Trees?

The ones that look like they would take off would be the Easter Eggers! I may let them out in the yard tomorrow and see how that goes. If I get brave enough to do so!

If your looking for that kind of adventure you need to train them to come to you with a treat cup. Something brightly-colored with high value treats like meal worms. This cup has been invaluable when I needed them to come to me because of a danger of some sort or if I need to put them up quickly to leave.

1685462283208.png

POL is the time to be concerned about. When they're about to lay, young pullets of the lighter breeds start flying around all over the place. After they've been laying a month or so they settle down. IF they didn't learn any bad habits in that time.
When we raised 8 Leghorns pullets some were more trouble than others. The naughty ones had the feathers on one wing trimmed.
Now we have some half Leghorns, who are much heavier but still manage to fly over the fence into a different pen to lay their eggs. Since that nestbox is more convenient for us to access we just let it go, and now they all pop in to deliver their presents and pop right back out again, they don't do anything else in there.

So what's the correct way to clip wings? Don't you only have to trim a couple of feathers off on one wing?
For me, the best way is to trim all the feathers on one wing. Trimming a few has never been enough. If you do both wings, they'll adapt and fly anyway, but just one wing causes them to fly crooked and they don't like that so they just don't. They'll still be able to jump up to roost at night, but they won't be motivated to fly over a fence.

POL is the time to be concerned about. When they're about to lay, young pullets of the lighter breeds start flying around all over the place. After they've been laying a month or so they settle down. IF they didn't learn any bad habits in that time.
So the heavier or Dual-purpose breeds are less likely to 'fly' because of their weight/mass. Say some Barred Rock for example. Some of mine are starting to lay but none have made it higher than 3-4 feet high. I was thinking they might end up on the top of the 6' tall run wall.
Not sure for barred rock. First time raising chickens.

Last edited:
So the heavier or Dual-purpose breeds are less likely to 'fly' because of their weight/mass. Say some Barred Rock for example. Some of mine are starting to lay but none have made it higher than 3-4 feet high. I was thinking they might end up on the top of the 6' tall run wall.
Not sure for barred rock. First time raising chickens.

Well, I'm not a physicist, lol, but to be more specific, it's probably not about the overall weight but the distribution of that weight per square inch, and the wingspan.
I noticed my English Orpington roo had short looking wings for his body size. Not noticeable unless they were open.
And some of my Ameraucana have very long wings, one is the most athletic chicken I've ever seen in terms of maneuvering in the air. Probably due to their Sumatra heritage, which are known to fly 5 miles or more.

What breeders would pay any attention to flight worthiness? So, the actual ability of each chicken is an individual thing, albeit we can generalize by breed. It's possible to have a 20lb monster flying chicken 🤣

Back
Top Bottom