White liquid leaking from vent? Help with treatment. TY

I'd get some Calcium Citrate with D3 and give her 1 tablet daily for a week.
The leakage is likely album mixed with urates, not Vent Gleet.

Amoxicillin is a good idea to give to help prevent infection of the oviduct. Dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 7-10 days.
Ok! Should I still treat for sour crop as well? Is amoxicillin something I can get at a store or would that need to come from a vet?

Thank you so much for the suggestions!

Ok! Should I still treat for sour crop as well? Is amoxicillin something I can get at a store or would that need to come from a vet?

It's difficult to get antibiotics from store now, but you can still buy online. I order mine antibiotics from: https://allbirdproducts.com/

Is her crop emptying overnight now since she expelled the eggs?
Re-check it.

IF it's not emptying (she doesn't have access to food/water all night long and you check first thing!) then treating the crop according to the article linked would be a good idea.

Often a crop just doesn't empty for a day or so if something else is going on like with your Gal. Sometimes when they are able to expel the egg(s)/material all goes back somewhat to normal, but don't be surprised if this reoccurs, it would not be uncommon. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Depending on where you live, you may be able to find Fish Antibiotics on the shelf at TSC. Otherwise order them online.

I was just at the store picking up the miconazole. I’ll sang a picture shortly. Do sour crop and prolapse go hand in hand sometimes? Or is there 2 different issues?
I don't think prolapse and sour crop go hand in hand.
So new development she is currently passing a soft egg. As I was typing that she pushed out egg yolk and white along with todays egg (I’m assuming).

At this point do I need to worry about sour crop should her crop start draining on its own?

Sorry for all the questions! She seems to be in much better spirits now.
She had the prolapse because of the egg, keep giving her calcium for awhile.

Do check her crop in the morning to make sure it's emptying.

I don't think prolapse and sour crop go hand in hand.

She had the prolapse because of the egg, keep giving her calcium for awhile.

Do check her crop in the morning to make sure it's emptying.
Ok. Thank you. She did lay a third soft shell egg. I am giving her calcium daily, her crop seems to be emptying but I’m continuing the treatment for sour crop. Thank you again for your help. Things are looking up for Lemonade!

Crops can slow down with egg binding, prolapse, or other illness. If it is emptying by the next morning she probably does not have sour crop. Smell her breath for a sour or bad odor. I alao agree with Wyorp Rock that she probably does not have vent gleet. During a prolapse white urates (chicken pee) may leak out of the cloaca. It is good that she is pooping now. Having shell-less or broken eggs is a setup for infection. Aqua Mox fish amoxicliin is available online, and dosage is 125-250 mg given orally twice daily for 10 days.

Crops can slow down with egg binding, prolapse, or other illness. If it is emptying by the next morning she probably does not have sour crop. Smell her breath for a sour or bad odor. I alao agree with Wyorp Rock that she probably does not have vent gleet. During a prolapse white urates (chicken pee) may leak out of the cloaca. It is good that she is pooping now. Having shell-less or broken eggs is a setup for infection. Aqua Mox fish amoxicliin is available online, and dosage is 125-250 mg given orally twice daily for 10 days.
Thank you. As soon as I get the amoxicillin in the mail I will start administering it to her. I will now have it in my chicken cabinet for future use too.

Back
Top Bottom