White Magpie ducklings?

Blooming chicks

Songster
13 Years
Mar 4, 2008
Bucks County
My magpie duck hatched out 13 of her 15 eggs, and 2 of the ducklings are pure white. Both parents have lots of black on them--so are white magpies normal, or is it possible the adults are mixed? Here is a pic of some of the babies.

6994_magpiebabies.jpg

Here are the white babies, the smaller one was hatched today--3 days after the rest. The larger baby was hatched same day as the ducklings first pic, but was tossed out of the nest--hence the cut on it's head. She is healing fine and very spoiled.

6994_white_magpies.jpg

Any thoughts?

I have often thought they resembled black swedish too. So then is it possible for the black sweds to have pure white duckling? I'm just wondering if maybe the parents are just a mix then.

Here is a picture of the parents

6994_p1010100.jpg

They were supose to be pure magpies, but oh well...my harelquins are also "pet quality".

Last edited:
all white Magpies are called Stanbridge whites according to Holderread's book Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks.
It also says that Magpie youngsters should have yellow or orange bills that gradually turn to a greenish as they age. Adults should range in size from 5-7 lbs.

Yes, 2 purebred Magpies can produce white offspring. They are called Stanbridge Whites when they are born all white. Your white ducklings look just like my Stanbridge Whites.

No, two purebred black Swedish ducks can not produce a white duckling.

Okay. Just what I thought, my adults are probably a mix. Some of the babies have a lot of white on them and do look more "magpie" than Swedish, but they are nice ducks either way. Most of the babies have homes already or I wouldn't have let sit on the eggs in the first place. The rest will just live with me
smile.png
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advise.

Back
Top Bottom