White Marans

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by marymac, Nov 18, 2010.

1. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    I have an opportunity to get a couple of White Marans pullets about 2-3 mths. old I've never had Marans and just wondered what other people think of them. Are they friendly, good layers, or any thing you don't like about them?

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I know just about nothing (well, I want some) about Marans, but there is a ongoing Marans thread somewhere in the forum....bet you would get answers to whatever you wanted to know about them if you found it. I've never heard of pure white ones, bet they're pretty. I love white birds, but none for me until I build somemore pens--I think they'd be hawk/coyote bait if they ran with the freeranging flock.

ETA: Here's the link I was talking about to the Marans thread. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=383387

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    They're very quiet, friendly, and cold-hardy. They're larger than your average chicken, and the males are almost (or just plain) never aggressive. They also have broody tenancies.

Congrats on the Whites though. Those are a rare color variation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by