1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White marans

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by marndt0579, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Micah and Kiah

Micah and Kiah New Egg

Apr 17, 2012
    [​IMG]
    This boy was a happy surprise! We purchased Black Copper Maran eggs. All the rest were the expected colour. We contaced the breeder and found out that his BCMs do, rarely, have a pure white chick. This photo was taken when he was just 4 months old. He is very big now and has lovely conformation. Wish I had a white French Maran pullet to breed him too! Is the white recessive? What if I breed him to a black hatch mate? What about to a blue or splash?

2. ssterling1776

ssterling1776 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Just put 17 white marans eggs in the incy over the weekend! Can't wait till hatch day!

3. An answer to an old post...this is recessive white. If he is bred to a recessive white carrier you have a 50% chance of white chicks.

4. azchristie

azchristie New Egg

Aug 31, 2013
    Hi Ernie, do you still have white marans? I am searching for some. Thanks.

Chris Davis

5. deltasmom

deltasmom Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2014
    Put black copper Marans eggs in the incubator and out of 10 shipped eggs these 2 hatched. What is this white chick - he is twice the size of the normal black Marans that hatched in this batch. The eggs looked exactly alike - is this a mutant? [​IMG]

6. Couple of options here, recessive white or mixed up eggs. I am suspicious because of the gray feather showing on the wing and at the base of that one tailfeather, which means that chick could be a splash from blue copper breeding. My recessive white chicks looked wheaten at hatch and feathered in snow white.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is the same white bird at hatch and 6 weeks. She's getting ready to lay, can't wait to see egg color!
    Edit for update at 3.5 months:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  7. deltasmom

deltasmom Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2014
    Thanks for your reply. I guess this will be a wait and see chick! This is a first for me out of all the BCMs that I have hatched. Everyone needs a little mystery hatch now and then - it adds excitement to the chicken coop.

8. Dianne88

Dianne88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Panhandle, FL
    I hatched out a barnyard mix of eggs and most hatched out looking like black marans except one. A cute little yellow chick with black spots and clean legs. Could this be a white maran?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. No shank/toe feathering, spots...not a white Marans. I had some that looked like that, Marans crossed with golden buff sexlinks. Do you have any of those type of hens?

10. Dianne88

Dianne88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Panhandle, FL
    There are Marans and Red Sexlinks, could this produce my chick??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by