1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White Marans?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ND Sue, Aug 21, 2013.

1. ND Sue

ND Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    ND
    I have been raising Blue and Black Copper Marans for 4 years.
    I have a pen of Black Copper, a pen of Blue coppers and an egg laying group.
    A relative asked me to hatch out some eggs for her and she didn't care from what. At the time, my BCM's and Blues weren't laying consistantly and since she didn't care about egg color, I gathered eggs mostly from my layer pen and a few from the others. The layer pen is where I put the hens that don't lay a dark enough egg for hatching for me or don't have the right color, usually too dark and not enough copper.

One of the eggs hatched out a white chick. I assumed it was going to be a splash and was from the blue pen. (I didn't mark the eggs, since I didn't really expect anything odd) Anyway, the chick is now around 2 months old and is still pure white!
    I've had splash before and they usually freckeled out by now...
    So how did this happen? Can a white skip a few generations? The guy I got my BCM from was working on a line of whites.... hmmm..

Also, does this look like a rooster or a hen? No crowing so far! The first one is a couple weeks old. The next was yesterday at around 8 weeks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    It's a rooster and there are white marans, there are also white sport marans that do pop up from time to time in the black coppers.

3. ND Sue

ND Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    ND
    Thank you so much for your reply! I thought it looked like a rooster, but hated to believe it! lol I hatched out 6 eggs and all 6 are roosters! What luck!

By "sport" does that mean anything that pops up unintentionally?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by