White marks on egg? Diet ok?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GoodEgg, Nov 1, 2007.

1. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    I wish I had a digital camera.

My girls are just starting to lay ... I'm up to 4 eggs today from 23 pullets.

One of the eggs, not sure if it's a first-timer or one that has been laying, looked strange today. (Pretty though!)

It's a brown egg, normal size for a pullet, nice shape. But it has white specks and splotches all over it (some a bigger than a pencil eraser, but not quite as big as a dime. The largest spot felt a little chalky to the touch, but in general the egg feels very smooth.

I'm asking because I wonder if this is a sign of some mineral or other dietary problem.

They all look very healthy, and free-range all day with a fairly mixed vegetation, and still a fair number of insects available. They are eating lizards too (ugh!). And probably whatever else they find out there. I feed mostly a half-and-half mix of starter/grower and laying crumbles (increasing the layer each week). I have given a little oyster shell but I don't have it down free-choice for them yet, and I'm not sure they are eating it. I do give some treats which can be just about anything, most often fruits, veggies, whole oats (soaked in milk), yogurt, or bread. (I know the bread isn't so good for them, but they LOVE it and other people are slipping them bits for treats - it IS mostly whole grain though.)

Just wondering if this indicates something I should watch or adjust for. I don't generally have any worries for their health. We've had some cold, windy, wet weather (and the coop got wet inside, but I raked it out) and they've done fine. It's back to warm and dry now.

Thanks if anyone has any info. [​IMG]

trish

2. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Our Cinnamon Queen started laying a few weeks ago and her eggs are all speckled with raised white dots. Not as big as the ones you describe, more sort of freckle sized.
    [​IMG]
    Stacey

3. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I've seen this too, but I don't know what causes it. My girls are healthy, so I haven't really worried about it.

Stacey

4. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    My guess is it has to do with the beginning of the laying cycle. I know eggs sometimes get weird in different ways as a hen gets older and/or towards the end of her laying cycle. We've had those white specks, too, as well as occasionally spots of darker color, bumps, rough eggs, and sometimes deformities or soft spots. We don't pay much attention unless it becomes a regular thing...then it might signal something wrong.

5. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I've seen specks of white, and also of dark brown, on eggs many times. Just never big splotches like this.

But I've seen lots of much stranger eggs on here, so I guess it's just something that happens. Thanks, I will keep an eye on things but I'm glad to know it's probably fine. [​IMG]

trish

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by