White mites on poop in runs

6chick*start

Songster
8 Years
Apr 9, 2011
NE OKlahoma
Not sure I'm putting this in the right place ...
Have never seen any bugs on my chickens or in the coops. Dusting with DE since day one.
I keep very clean runs and coops with sand in the runs and under roost bars and scoop every day.
We have had a lot of rain lately and the sand in runs is now packed down.
When I go to clean up the poop is packed down and LOADED with white mites! Round bodies so I am sure it is mites.
I want to super dust with 5% Sevin but we are due to have another week of rain and storms. Not raining now but will be later today.
Do I need to wait until the rain is over for a few days? Creepy creepy creepy!
Thanks!

I might move this question over to "emergencies/injuries/disease and cures"? I think you might get more peeps over there to help ya. :)

But now you've got me thinking that I need to check some poo tmw.. lol.

"Mites" don't eat feces.
I wouldn't worry about them at all

Hmm, then what would they be? A gazillion of them all over my runs in the smashed down wet poop.
They look just like the red mites, round bodied, but even smaller.
I couldn't stand it so went ahead and covered the runs with 5% sevin dust. All is well today with no more 'moving' poop.

I wonder if they are grain mites?

Thank you! Just did some research and I think that's it.
No doubt they came about due to all the rain, heat, and high humidity we've been having.
Probably the feed kicked out of the chicks bowls and getting so wet brought them about to feast.
Checked my feed bin with a magnifying glass and phew! Nothing in it. I do add DE every time I fill with a new bag.
Looks like I will need to Sevin again in ten days or so. Maybe for as long as the rainy season is here.
Ugh...bugs

I had these in my compost pile. The compost forums say they just help to breakdown the organics(chicken poop).

I wouldn't worry about these kind of mites. It's the blood suckers that need to be feared!

Back
Top Bottom