White Muscovy drake needs new home

5ducks

Songster
Jun 20, 2021
I have a muscovy drake named Butters that needs to be rehomed as a pet. I bought him and his 3 brothers from Metzer farms back in late March in hopes of getting some more females for my flock. I was too afraid at the time to buy from anywhere besides a hatchery, but that didn’t work out as I had hoped. I would say he is very tame, too much for his own good unfortunately, he LOVES to bite people- their hands, arms, boots, legs, anything he can reach. He bites hard and has drawn blood on me several times(I do have sensitive skin). That being said I still love him as a pet and he loves to talk and is one of the first to come to me for treats. He loves fruits and bugs. I would keep him if he wasn’t so mean to my other drakes despite them having a separate pen from the girls, I also feel like their coop just isn’t quite large enough for six drakes, especially with 4 of them being so large. I’m not sure how he would do with females as my Muscovy girls aren’t old enough to “date” yet. I understand he probably isn’t very desirable because of his biting people and being mean to the other drakes, but if anyone can give him a good home him and I would both greatly appreciate it. I am located in Jacksonville, FL. We would be willing to drive a bit to rehome him. We would prefer to not have to go too far, but at this point these boys are stressing my husband, myself and themselves out so I might be able to convince my husband to drive a little further than he was originally willing to go. In the video Butters is the one on the left getting the majority of the strawberry.

@ruthhope may be able to help.
even with training if you are willing to keep Butters.
I am sorry but I am out of state until mid-October. I don't currently have room in my coop for another drake -- 5 in there including 1 disturbed muscovy drake and 3 pekin drakes in their own individual dogcrates.

My disturbed muscovy drake periodically bites my feet and ankles -- I am unsure what is causing that. He was a rescue last year when he nearly drowned in a retention pond and his mama duck and sibs left him for dead. He doesn't like being touched, but I easily pick him up when he is in fighting mood and he calms down. I talk to him and stroke him but I can't just put him down or he will go back to attacking my feet. So I keep a dog crate in my back garden and he goes in there. He only needs 3 or so minutes in there and when I let him out, he is calm and not pugalistic.

@5ducks you might try the dog crate time out for your biter. As soon as he starts biting, pick him up and put him in the dog crate. Muscovy are intelligent ducks and learn readily. He will quickly learn that if he bites he will be put in the dog crate.

My disturbed drake was far worse back in January, when he would fly at me with his feet first and try full body fighting. My "therapy" for that was far more complex but within 2 weeks he stopped that and a total of three times got up onto my side gate -- where he was my height and quite frankly I was very frightened the first time he did it -- and as I slowly approached he rested his head on my shoulder and accepted a hug.

I should add, that this muscovy drake is no longer close to my other muscovy drake, who is a huge soft cuddly lump of hand-raised duck. The two were very close for months when they were ducklings and juveniles, sleeping and napping with necks across eachother. He is, fortunately, still close buddy with one of my rescued pekin drakes, so he isn't all alone with his demons. I wish I better understood muscovy drake psychology to know better how to help.

But for biting, try time out in a dog crate!!

I am sorry but I am out of state until mid-October. I don't currently have room in my coop for another drake -- 5 in there including 1 disturbed muscovy drake and 3 pekin drakes in their own individual dogcrates.

My disturbed muscovy drake periodically bites my feet and ankles -- I am unsure what is causing that. He was a rescue last year when he nearly drowned in a retention pond and his mama duck and sibs left him for dead. He doesn't like being touched, but I easily pick him up when he is in fighting mood and he calms down. I talk to him and stroke him but I can't just put him down or he will go back to attacking my feet. So I keep a dog crate in my back garden and he goes in there. He only needs 3 or so minutes in there and when I let him out, he is calm and not pugalistic.

@5ducks you might try the dog crate time out for your biter. As soon as he starts biting, pick him up and put him in the dog crate. Muscovy are intelligent ducks and learn readily. He will quickly learn that if he bites he will be put in the dog crate.

My disturbed drake was far worse back in January, when he would fly at me with his feet first and try full body fighting. My "therapy" for that was far more complex but within 2 weeks he stopped that and a total of three times got up onto my side gate -- where he was my height and quite frankly I was very frightened the first time he did it -- and as I slowly approached he rested his head on my shoulder and accepted a hug.

I should add, that this muscovy drake is no longer close to my other muscovy drake, who is a huge soft cuddly lump of hand-raised duck. The two were very close for months when they were ducklings and juveniles, sleeping and napping with necks across eachother. He is, fortunately, still close buddy with one of my rescued pekin drakes, so he isn't all alone with his demons. I wish I better understood muscovy drake psychology to know better how to help.

But for biting, try time out in a dog crate!!
Thank you🙏 I will definitely try the dog crate, hopefully that will work

Back
Top Bottom