Songster
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
Toronto
My Coop
My Coop
Hello

I have been looking or another female muscovy to buy

I found one near me but they are all white! Does white usually mean the meat kind? I was hoping for a black or a blue or brown, as i always thought the white ones were usually bred to be meat birds?

Anyone?

muscovys are usually just that, muscovy.. the color doesn't matter.

where did you hear about the meat thing? are you sure you were not talking about ducks other than muscovy? they are a whole different ballgame..

well a girl i use to know who use to breed muscovy sold a few really nice black ones to me years ago i asked her if she had anymore she said she got rid of all her colored muscovy and only has the big white meat ones

So i figured white was a special meat strain

I think they do have a "meat strain" Seems like I've read something about "French Strain Muscovy" I don't know what color they are supposed to . But I would tend to agree with the other poster - I think a muscovy is gonna be a muscovy no matter what color or strain. And I mean that as a compliment to the breed- I don't have any now but I used to and i loved them!!

Went back and found the feathersite article about them-
http://feathersite.com/Poultry/Ducks/Musc/BRKScobies.html
There are a lot of links at the end of his article- Maybe this will give you plenty of info on Muscovies!! Good Luck

Last edited:
I was short on time for my last post. I had to leave..

muscovy ducks are muscovy ducks.

almost all other ducks descended from the mallard.. I even find this hard to believe, though.. because there are ducks like the mandarin
that was developed far from the wild mallard flight path.. but this is what you will find in a book, if you do any research..

but I still maintain a muscovy is a muscovy..

I think you have French Guineas confused with Muscovys.. (poster above)

Back
Top Bottom