White Orpingtons

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by shelleyb1969, Oct 21, 2008.

1. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Does anyone on BYC have white orpingtons?

2. Shaffer

Shaffer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Tamaqua, NE Pa
    shelleyb1969,
    Yes, I have a pair from a show breeder that has a closed flock of birds for the last 20 years. I am hoping to get enough chicks for a starter flock this spring. I also have a black pullet show quality and a blue pullet above average breeder quality. I also have a Lavender project male. I also have some pet quality blue pullets/hens from Sandhill but I may dispose of them since I don't think they are worthy of breeding to perpetuate the breed. Harry

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  3. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    I have a trio of recessive whites. I you want some eggs Gayle and Norm at Catalpa farms are selling eggs.

Harry, I would love to see pictures of the whites you got. I've been meaning to email you back. [​IMG] Just been busy with family stuff.

4. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Thank you for the info, Harry and Korfus.

Korfus, I went to Catalpa's website, but they only list as having Buff, Blue, and Black Orpingtons. Are their whites just not listed?

Harry, will you have hatching eggs available in the spring?

And I am definitely NOT good with genetics, so I must ask...what does recessive white mean in regards to breeding them?

5. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Email Gayle at [email protected] [​IMG]

They do still have the white orps, they are out of BBS Orps and LF Salmon Faverolles.

I also wonder what recessive white means. [​IMG]

~Rebecca

6. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Harry could you show us a picture of your Black Show quality Orp also. It is very hard for most to get to shows that are actually showing any color other than buff. Of course I would love to see all of your flock. I love to look at pictures as it is very helpful to learning about the breeds and not just having to use imagination.

7. Shaffer

Shaffer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Tamaqua, NE Pa
    sheleyb1969: I will probably not have any white Orp eggs available for a while but if I do I will contact you if I can remember.

needmorechickens: Recessive whites if pure and bred to a pure black will produce only blacks split recessive white.

Bamachicken: When I have some time I will post pictures but right now is very busy for me. The black is not as good as the white. The white hen is more cobby than the black.

KorfusKluckers: Will get back to you as per your email.
    HS

8. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    needmorechickens! :

I also wonder what recessive white means. [​IMG]

~Rebecca

Recessive white is a white that is breed from a black line. They have slate coloured legs and darker eyes. Per standard a white orp should have reddish bay eyes and white shanks. Some thing I will have to breed out. Pictured below is on of my recessive whites as a youngster.
    [​IMG]

I did get whites from Gayle and Norm and have four in my brooder right now. I need their line to help me breed out the wrong coloured shanks and eyes in my birds. I would highly recommend them for birds. I have always gotten really nice quality from her. My black hen in the my avatar is from them.​

9. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  10. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Quote:Murray's stink! I had a friend who ordered them and half had yellow legs (I think they were white rocks) they were all small. They would be fine for pets but if you are after the big Orps look elsewhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by