White peachicks and Splits

Actually a good point was raised above, about inbreeding could limited bloodlines play a part in the whites in Australia? Just a thought out loud (typing).
Will email you a guys details Bemba, he can be worth talking to. Bit of a Bunyanutter.

Quote:
Yes that's what I suspected, here in Oz, we have limited blood, and I have 2 splits, so that should help alot..... heaps of white chicks die before 4 months of age here.... Apparently. I just wanted to ask, have you ever heard of shadowing in whites? As the Peacocks Australia or Australian Poultry Forum (run by the same guy)
roll.png
have this article about it, I just wanted to see your view on this, because I don't know if it reads right. http://www.australianpoultryforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3035

Never heard of shadowing or noticed anything like that. I've personally raised whites from couple generations of no white breeder birds(example: split bred to non-splits, splits to splits but whites were sold & kept the splits and so on) and can say the whites from these are 'as pure as the driven snow'.

Reading his post, I could not help but wonder how did he get his splits? All I saw was whites to splits, white to white then back to white to splits. Nothing on out crossing whites to IB "without a drop of white blood". If they're not doing out crosses, then it seems like a bunch of inbreeding. (it's not an outcross if a split from a white program like that are being used..)

If the whites in Australia is the same mutation in USA, health really should not be a problem at all... they are raised exactly the same way as any other color. Growth and survival rates no difference at all from IB.

I'm a newbie to Peafowl, and none of mine are split to White or Pied, so I have no worthwhile input for this thread but just wanted to complement you on your cute babies bemba! Love the pics, adorable
love.gif

I am really anxious for my oldest Peahen to start laying eggs... I have several more months to wait tho
roll.png

Quote:
Yes that's what I suspected, here in Oz, we have limited blood, and I have 2 splits, so that should help alot..... heaps of white chicks die before 4 months of age here.... Apparently. I just wanted to ask, have you ever heard of shadowing in whites? As the Peacocks Australia or Australian Poultry Forum (run by the same guy)
roll.png
have this article about it, I just wanted to see your view on this, because I don't know if it reads right. http://www.australianpoultryforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3035

Never heard of shadowing or noticed anything like that. I've personally raised whites from couple generations of no white breeder birds(example: split bred to non-splits, splits to splits but whites were sold & kept the splits and so on) and can say the whites from these are 'as pure as the driven snow'.

Reading his post, I could not help but wonder how did he get his splits? All I saw was whites to splits, white to white then back to white to splits. Nothing on out crossing whites to IB "without a drop of white blood". If they're not doing out crosses, then it seems like a bunch of inbreeding. (it's not an outcross if a split from a white program like that are being used..)

If the whites in Australia is the same mutation in USA, health really should not be a problem at all... they are raised exactly the same way as any other color. Growth and survival rates no difference at all from IB.

Well i'm thinking the only shadowing is either the birds shadow itself or dirty birds
lol.png

Quote:
Thanks Peeps, they are the first peachciks I have bred myself, so quite stoaked!! What colour/s do you have peeps? I found it really cool how they have flight feathers of like a 2 week old chicken when the hatch
ep.gif

I just have regular IBs, (so far). I've never hatched any chicks yet... just raised 2 of my Peahens from 2days old (they are almost 8 months old now). I miss how cute they were as babies, so I am really looking forward to hatching my own.

I want to add Pieds, Whites, Midnights and a few other colors to my collection eventually tho!

You dont know how lucky you are Peeps to be able to say that... all those mutations you have access to
th.gif

Quote:
roll.png
yeah, yeah rub it in
lol.png
I just found another 2 eggs from one of my white hens, I knew she was laying (droopy wings) so I got the binoculars out and followed her commando style ... took the 2 eggs and replaced them with dummies, Oh yeah on the other thread talking about giant lizards..... I was mowing the lawn, and noticed like all the fowl walking in a mob.... and a darn goanna was walking in front of the mob... wish I had my camera.... the turkeys kept biting the end of it's tail. It walked straight into the pen for some googs.... I ran up behind and shut the door
celebrate.gif
I am sure there are more but at least one less to steal my eggs PS didn't kill it, drove it to a nature reserve about 1/2 hour away.

ZACH '96 :

You dont know how lucky you are Peeps to be able to say that... all those mutations you have access to
th.gif

Hey Zach, what colours do you have, I have seen the new Aussie charcoals, Maxine a lady not far from me has them.... I'm trying to ring her but she is such an elusive creature
hide.gif
Would love to see someone start a charcoal reverse pied line
droolin.gif

Quote:
Im afraid he will be back before long… LOL!
We have all made that mistake… well I have
hide.gif

Quote:
You will just need to call me and find out
wink.png

Zach

Back
Top Bottom