White Pheonix good to eat?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by zowieyellowflame, Jun 14, 2010.

1. zowieyellowflame

zowieyellowflame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Hello,
    I have a batch of white pheonix chicks and it looks like 2 or 3 are boys. They seem like a slender, small breed and I am wondering if we should grow them on for meat or just cull them now? I am trying to give them away but so far no success. They are only 2 months old.

2. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    We ate a phoenix rooster that was about 6 months old and crowing. He was very very scrawny but tasty.

3. uhuh555

uhuh555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    Delton
    To bad we don't live near each other. We just lost our 10 year old white phoenix roo (Spanky) and would love to get another. Goldie (a golden phoenix roo) is 13 plus years old and going strong. He loves staying on top of the rabbit cages where he is feed and watered. He has not come off them in over 5 years now. Phoenix are such beautiful birds. Last year Goldie shed his 11 foot long tail and has started to grow a new one in January this year, it is now about 4 foot. The last few years his saddle feathers don't grow as long as they used to.

When we raised them in large numbers we would eat the culls. As said above they do taste good, but kind of skinny and boney.

4. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    ohhh man to pretty of a bird to eat, i would take them if i could get money for shipping. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by