White Plymouth Rock!! Where are you?

RoosterML

🥇Ukraine 🥇
5 Years
Nov 5, 2018
Tolland County Connecticut, USA
I am looking for a reputable breeder of White Plymouth Rocks? Looking to purchase some eggs and or chicks.
I will end up crossing with Orpington roos. So if someone has done this and would like to share results that would be great. Main goal is to have a reasonably fast growing large size meat bird with good egg production if I keep some of the hens.

I see you posted on Saturday and got no responses either.

You may need to look at hatcheries and order chicks or hatching eggs. Meyer, Murray McMurray and Cackle hatcheries sell White Plymouth Rocks.
If you are looking for specific breeders, you could see if there are any listed on the Livestock Conservancy Website or check out the BYC breeder listing to see if anyone has them https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/byc-breeders-directory.1129376/

Good luck in your search:)

@Wyorp Rock yep not much luck, no experience with the "rock" family. Which is bigger and fastest growing in the rock family?
Well...with hatchery stock, to me, it's a gamble. My White Rocks did seem to grow faster, but they will not give you a lot of "meat" like a Cornish Cross that's for sure.
My WPR were from Meyer - I would assume that other hatcheries have different lines, so some may be bigger than others.
They are fairly good producers of large brown eggs, especially the first year - just like most laying breeds. Of course, after the first molt (16-18months) production is going to be reduced slightly as expected.

Do you have room/space to raise some meat birds, plus have a laying flock? Have you thought about that?

Do you have room/space to raise some meat birds, plus have a laying flock? Have you thought about that?
Room is not an issue, last year I did 26 meat birds, started in my spare 5x9 coop as chicks, moved onto pasture in an 8x8 pen, finished off 25 on pasture in a 12x12 dog kennel.
Laying flock has roughly 2000sq of run currently, this spring I plan on fencing in roughly 5000 more square feet.The new area will be shared with various animals yet to be determined. I have photos of current setup in profile. I understand that the CX will have more meat. I would prefer that I can hatch something myself with a nice end product. I figured the Orpington Roo/WPR hens would be a nice size bird with a faster rate of growth. I am open to anyone's ideas but right now I am limited to using my Orpington roos whatever they gets crossed with is what I am trying to figure out.

Room is not an issue, last year I did 26 meat birds, started in my spare 5x9 coop as chicks, moved onto pasture in an 8x8 pen, finished off 25 on pasture in a 12x12 dog kennel.
Laying flock has roughly 2000sq of run currently, this spring I plan on fencing in roughly 5000 more square feet.The new area will be shared with various animals yet to be determined. I have photos of current setup in profile. I understand that the CX will have more meat. I would prefer that I can hatch something myself with a nice end product. I figured the Orpington Roo/WPR hens would be a nice size bird with a faster rate of growth. I am open to anyone's ideas but right now I am limited to using my Orpington roos whatever they gets crossed with is what I am trying to figure out.
That sounds like a good cross. Are you opposed to getting Orpington hens? I've found that they aren't quite as productive in the laying department, but still lay a decent amount.

forgot to add - @Ridgerunner is probably a very good person to ask about decent meat+eggs, so hopefully he will chime in. I normally just raise mine for eggs, but I think what you have in mind is a good idea. I'm leaning more that way myself with a heritage line of BR but will have to see how things turn out - too soon to tell.

I've been trying to find a link to a white rock breeder that is up north by Ontario I believe. I saw it on a different thread but haven't been able to find it. Sorry:hmm
I am looking for a reputable breeder of White Plymouth Rocks? Looking to purchase some eggs and or chicks.
I will end up crossing with Orpington roos. So if someone has done this and would like to share results that would be great. Main goal is to have a reasonably fast growing large size meat bird with good egg production if I keep some of the hens.

Back
Top Bottom