white poop?

Ccuckoo

Chirping
Aug 22, 2021
I have 3 free range chooks and one of them is dropping this white/ ivory-ish colored poop. Sometimes it’s super watery sometime it’s hard. I started to see this a week ago- not so many, just a little one or two soft drops, then I saw this today.
None of my girls are acting odd. They eat and drink well, follow me for treats and enjoy the dust bath. Should I worry about this? I brought them when they were about 2-3 months old, fed them medicated chick starter until they started to lay eggs and now they are almost an year old. I give the mix of layers feed with crushed egg shells. Maybe too much calcium? 🤷🏻‍♀️ hope it’s not a parasite.

Attachments

• FA032092-0C2B-4C37-A9B1-E607237FC229.jpeg
    FA032092-0C2B-4C37-A9B1-E607237FC229.jpeg
    896.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Likely it is nothing to worry about. Chicken poop varies a lot from one drop to the next. (I'll post a chicken poo chart below to help you see what is "normal").

Chickens don't "pee." Their urine passes out in the feces as urate, which is the white colored streaks on chicken poop.

However, if that is all she is passing, no poo whatsoever, just white discharge, it could be a yeasty discharge. Is her vent and bum area red at all? Does there appear to be pasty, cheesy discharge in that? If that is the case, then it is a yeast infection known as vent gleet. Mild to moderate cases are solved by applying yeast cream or athlete foot spray and feeding yogurt to the hen. Severe cases require meds from the vet.

Another reason of solid white discharge could be signs of egg duct peritonitis, which is a severe infection in the egg tract. That is almost always fatal.

The chicken poo chart (you'll see there is a wide range of "normal").
https://the-chicken-chick.com/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive/

Hopefully this is just range of normal.
LofMc

Likely it is nothing to worry about. Chicken poop varies a lot from one drop to the next. (I'll post a chicken poo chart below to help you see what is "normal").

Chickens don't "pee." Their urine passes out in the feces as urate, which is the white colored streaks on chicken poop.

However, if that is all she is passing, no poo whatsoever, just white discharge, it could be a yeasty discharge. Is her vent and bum area red at all? Does there appear to be pasty, cheesy discharge in that? If that is the case, then it is a yeast infection known as vent gleet. Mild to moderate cases are solved by applying yeast cream or athlete foot spray and feeding yogurt to the hen. Severe cases require meds from the vet.

Another reason of solid white discharge could be signs of egg duct peritonitis, which is a severe infection in the egg tract. That is almost always fatal.

LofMc
Thank you! I was worried what if it is because of coccidiosis. but the color is not quite like it and it’s not foamy at all. So i guess it is just a big mass of urine. none of them have pasty butt and she definitely is passing normal poops most of the time. i will keep my eyes on but yaay! i am relieved for now. :)

Are you up to date with deworming treatment? If you see signs of lethargy and continued white watery diarreah, it may be necessary to deworm.

Edit: the picture looks fairly thick so maybe it is just from the food.

Are you up to date with deworming treatment? If you see signs of lethargy and continued white watery diarreah, it may be necessary to deworm.

Edit: the picture looks fairly thick so maybe it is just from the food.
None of them are lethargic and I haven’t seen more watery poo than this so far, just regular poos, so maybe it is from food, or it’s a massive amount of urine as the comment above. But I feel like I need to worm them regularly for prevention like dogs and cats. Should I? I actually have not treated any dewormer with them yet cause I asked to this person who gave me these girls and heard they don’t need to deworm regularly. As you can see, I am a first time chicken owner. Can you recommend me a product? how often should I do it?

Last edited:

LofMc
That chart is soooo helpful! My 11 week old pullets we’re laying this poo with giant white caps on it and one of the pics looked just like it and was labeled normal. Great relief. These chicks had a change in brand of chick feed and location so that may be why poo was looking diff.

Back
Top Bottom